H.caboverdensis eating her baby's

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My nephew @DreamHaze has a few H.Cabs and he just found a clump of scorplings being munched on by the mother. If you read my previous thread I'm a noob to scorpions so I have no idea why this would happen and if it is common.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I seperated the baby's from the mothers enclosure. They don't look fully developed. It's almost as if she gave birth too early. 20170527_170607.jpg

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
I had a Deathstalker refuse her brood before but they were a little more developed than the ones in the pic. I took them and put them on a damp paper towel and was able to care for them until there first molt with minimal loss.
Unfortunately from what I can tell from the picture I don't think what's left of your nephews broods chances are to good
Sorry

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I had a Deathstalker refuse her brood before but they were a little more developed than the ones in the pic. I took them and put them on a damp paper towel and was able to care for them until there first molt with minimal loss.
Unfortunately from what I can tell from the picture I don't think what's left of your nephews broods chances are to good
Sorry
Yea I was just going to let her eat them but a friend suggested I try to save them. Once I sent her that pic she said the same as you.. Basically hopeless.. Any idea what would cause her to give birth early?

I'm new(ish) to keeping scorpions and have a H.cab also and she looks fat as hell. I don't want this to happen with her.

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Could be 1 of a few things. Conditions just might not have been right for her, temp, humidity ect.ect.
Or just maybe she sensed something wasn't right with them.
The only thing you can do with yours is try to replicate its natural living conditions.

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
I used to just keep my reptile/invert room between 78*-88* with humidity around 25%-35% and would just mist the species that required higher humidity. Now I replicate temps and humidity to their locals by using weather apps that tell me the current temps and humidity where they're from. Species requiring higher temps like a few of my Andro's, Hottentottas, and Leiurus I use a ceramic heat lights to raise their temps without making it too high for others like some of my Tityus and Parabuthus sp. Since I started doing it this way I've noticed a few small changes in some.
Just try your best to make their captive conditions as close to wild conditions as possible and the rest is up to them.

Good Luck with yours, Hopefully she has a nice sized brood for you when she pops

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Could be 1 of a few things. Conditions just might not have been right for her, temp, humidity ect.ect.
Or just maybe she sensed something wasn't right with them.
The only thing you can do with yours is try to replicate its natural living conditions.
Thanks for the insights.. I figured it had something to do with the enclosure.. He was housing them in deli cups with peat. He had been pretty busy in the last month so he never got around to giving them a proper set up.

This is how I have my girl set up 20170523_170838.jpg The sub is like 60% coco fiber and 40% play sand. The largest rock (upper left) has a shallow hollow on the underside where I hoped she would make a scrape.. Which she did on the second night.. I mist the right hand side of the enclosure once a week making sure the sub gets fairly moist on that side as well. I also added a soda cap as a water dish.

As you can kind of tell from the pic she is big and fat.. I have been feeding her crickets and roaches every other day for the last week or so. The temps in the room she is in is 80-82 somedays up to 86 it depends on how hot it is outside lately we have had daily agerages of 98 so the room has been on the warm side.