H. arizonesis

littebigspider

Arachnopeon
My H. arizonesis ( not sure I spelled that correctly) seems to hide 90% of the tme, and when he is out and I walk into the room he runs back into his burrow. Whats your experience with your H. arizonesis.

I'm not complaining about his health, he eats like a champ and I have even seen him drinking water. So he seems to be doing well. Maybe he just doesn't like me:(

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah some just hide most of the time, that is normal.

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 6 H. arizonensis at the moment and they all hide most of the time and usually runs away, at the slightest disturbance. So your specimen sounds perfectly healthy to me.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The one I had was out in the open doing something in the daytime. In fact he was the most active scorpion I had at the time. Unfortunately, he died recently, possibly of old age since he was probably a wild caught adult. Wonder if the older more mature H. arizonensis are more active? From what I've heard, most of these species don't run and hide like that. All of my younger scorpions and centurides are more prone to do this though.

Sharon

Steffen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long did you have that scorpion? It's not exactly normal for a scorpion to be that active at daytime. I believe that any scorpion given the right circumstances, will stay hidden as much as possible, during daytime. Usually it takes a certain amount of time for the animal to settle in, when you move it to a new tank etc. and it might run around alot in that periode. I've experienced scorpions that didn't act quite normal, even for a few months, after being introduced to a new area. It could be the lack of proper hidingplaces, temperature, wrong humidity or other well known issues that might make the difference aswell ofcourse. I have H. arizonensis collected from different areas, hard soil ground or sandy dunes, they all dig alot and make deep burrows none the less. So if your scorpions are extremely active, they might not be happy with their surroundings/environment. This is just my oppinion ofcourse and there will always be odd cases that somehow differ from the norm.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had the scorpion for like 4 yrs. He seemed quite normal from what I've heard they act like. He was out in the open a lot wanting to be fed I think. He hated water and I never saw him drink. I had him in a 10 al. tank on mostly sand following suggestions from the board here. He ate well, and looked very well. He was even handleable sometimes after he ate and not aggressive. I never had any indication anything was wrong with him. He was a male and full grown, full sized. He liked to dig a lot, and every once in a while he would make a burrow at another spot. Thought this was normal for them. I had a heat lamp as well because the house here in Jersey is about 70'sF and 80F during the Summer with air conditioning. I actually loved this scorpion very much, and was quite sad when he passed. He was a Christmas present from my son-in-law and quite a surprise.

Sharon

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Spadix acts the same way, digs all night, wanders much of the day, eats like no tomorrow and hates water. A wonderful animal :)

I had the scorpion for like 4 yrs. He seemed quite normal from what I've heard they act like. He was out in the open a lot wanting to be fed I think. He hated water and I never saw him drink. I had him in a 10 al. tank on mostly sand following suggestions from the board here. He ate well, and looked very well. He was even handleable sometimes after he ate and not aggressive. I never had any indication anything was wrong with him. He was a male and full grown, full sized. He liked to dig a lot, and every once in a while he would make a burrow at another spot. Thought this was normal for them. I had a heat lamp as well because the house here in Jersey is about 70'sF and 80F during the Summer with air conditioning. I actually loved this scorpion very much, and was quite sad when he passed. He was a Christmas present from my son-in-law and quite a surprise.

Sharon