H. arizonensis

dark FrOsT

Arachnopeon
well i thinking of getting some H. arizonensis and i have a few final questions before i make my purchases\

1. what kind of lighting do i use, cause i want to be able to see them.
2. can a pair cohab together, i think is if the enclosure is large enough
3. can i use playground sand, if so do i have to wash it first
4. as for heat im thinking of either a heat pad or just a heat bulb stuck to or directed at the side of the tank

i think thats all the questions i had, if i think of anymore ill let you all know

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is what I can offer. Just use a regular heat lamp with a light bulb. It's cheap and works really well. Just make ssure you don't use a UV light as they are dangerous. They can be communal if kept in small numbers, maybe 2 per 5 gallon enclosure. For all the scorps I've ever had I've always used a 10 gallon tank. They are obligate burrowers so you should have 6-8" of sand with rocks or hides. Sand works well if mixed with a small amount of Bentonite and it should be wet down and allowed to dry to provide a stable
burrowing substrait so it doesn't colapse on them.

They LOVE to burrow. Make sure the sand is well packed. The most common captive care issues are troubles molting and giving birth. In the wild they are in semi-arid and arid habitats (also in desert-like habitats but rarly on sand dunes) in deep burrows that can be several feet long. They will seem hibernate in the winter months, and they will handle room temperatures and reduced feeding during this time.

Hope that helps!

dark FrOsT

Arachnopeon
thanks for the help .... should the heat lamp be on the side or top of the tank. whats bentonite? if i cant get that can i just wet the sand, pack it down and let it dry ... also should i bake the sand

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Put the lamp on the top on one side so that if they get too hot they can move to the other side to cool down. You can get bentonite at a garden nursery. If you can't find it or don't want to use it just wet down the sand and pack it so it is tight and let it dry. I let mine dry outside in the sun/wind which usually takes 3-5 days depending on how much you have. You can bake the sand if you want but I never have. I just use what is in the desert here.