H. arizonensis successful molt!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
In September I bought a juvenile female H. arizonensis. Reading about their difficulties molting in captivity made me anxious. She burrowed down into the excavator clay/ sand substrate mix and has been hiding in her burrow for about 2 months. There's a tiny little window up against the glass that I can shine a flashlight into and take a quick (though limited) peek. I checked on her today and could see that last night she molted! And has gained quite a bit of size. I'm relieved and thrilled at the same time. I can't wait to see her when she emerges.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Send some pics when you can! I think we all would appreciate an upclose insight into Hadrurus molting behaviors.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
I agree with @CRX ,, we’d absolutely appreciate it! I also have a question, do you use the pvc pipe method to pour water into the lower parts of the substrate to keep the humidity up in the burrows? Or is the substrate completely dry down to the bottom? I’m just curious as to what exact factors allow for successful molts with this species. Congrats with the successful molt nonetheless! Lots of people have struggled with that

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
In September I bought a juvenile female H. arizonensis. Reading about their difficulties molting in captivity made me anxious. She burrowed down into the excavator clay/ sand substrate mix and has been hiding in her burrow for about 2 months. There's a tiny little window up against the glass that I can shine a flashlight into and take a quick (though limited) peek. I checked on her today and could see that last night she molted! And has gained quite a bit of size. I'm relieved and thrilled at the same time. I can't wait to see her when she emerges.
Please detail your enclosure setup when you can. We'd all appreciate the input.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
So I have her in 5 gallon aquarium. Substrate is a mixture of excavator clay/ sand about 6in deep. I made several caves/ starter burrows out of the clay. She chose to create her own burrow. It was clear that she was seeking moisture as she burrowed and the main part of her burrow ended up being a few inches below her water dish. When spring came around, every 2 weeks or so I would "make it rain" to mimic monsoons. I would also overflow the water dish a bit. I also used a long set of metal tongs to create a vertical channel in the substrate, which I poured some water down and allowed it to trickle down into the bottom layers. I would let it almost completely dry out, then repeat the process again.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So I have her in 5 gallon aquarium. Substrate is a mixture of excavator clay/ sand about 6in deep. I made several caves/ starter burrows out of the clay. She chose to create her own burrow. It was clear that she was seeking moisture as she burrowed and the main part of her burrow ended up being a few inches below her water dish. When spring came around, every 2 weeks or so I would "make it rain" to mimic monsoons. I would also overflow the water dish a bit. I also used a long set of metal tongs to create a vertical channel in the substrate, which I poured some water down and allowed it to trickle down into the bottom layers. I would let it almost completely dry out, then repeat the process again.
So a significantly higher moisture content than we would keep them at as adults when concerned about mycosis.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
thanks for the detailed reply! Pretty much exactly what I expected, more humidity in the burrows and drier on the surface. i’m curious to see the success rates for setups like this. Hopefully if anyone else has had successful molts they can also chime in.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
thanks for the detailed reply! Pretty much exactly what I expected, more humidity in the burrows and drier on the surface. i’m curious to see the success rates for setups like this. Hopefully if anyone else has had successful molts they can also chime in.
There was a thread posted here a few years ago of someone that had many molts in a communal setup of Hadrurus. They had moist hides and some other weird factors. I'll see if I can find it.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I'd say more like bursts of higher moisture. Overall consistently still dry except for the very bottom layers of substrate.
If you create the false bottom system with clay balls at the very bottom, with a mesh devider, and plastic pipes down to the lower levels, moisture will find it's own level and so will the Scorpion.

Molting of Hadrurus has never been a major problem, getting the very young through the various instar stages is the problem.

If you create " monsoon " conditions for an arid species you are going to suffer with Mycosis sooner or later.