H. arizonensis Stationary?

CABIV

Arachnosquire
I don't know if this is an issue, but I wanted to check.

I've had a Desert Hairy for a few months now. It spent most of this time patrolling its cage and building an unbelievably convoluted network of tunnels (seems like some intertwine without even being connected!). Most nights it would be out and about.

In the last few weeks though, it seems to be "stuck". It has been sitting stationary in its burrow. It is strange because the scorpion seems responsive to prey that wanders down there, but it never moves from its spot, even a little bit, nor does it turn around. If the roach or cricket manages to pass the scorpion, it won't chase it, but as soon as the prey turns back from the dead end, the scorpion will nail it as it tries to squeeze past for a second time.

Its never ever deeper in the burrow, or closer to the entrance. Its in the middle.

Is it possible this animal is stuck? Or is it hunkering down for the coming cold times? I know these arachnids can sit in the same spot for a long time, but I've never seen one stick around this long! They usually come out a little.

The substrate is 20% excavator clay in play sand.

I will attempt to take photos, but its a tad obscured due to the nature of the burrow.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not stuck. Once scorpions have constructed their burrows, you'll find that they'll spend most of their time sitting near the entrance waiting for prey. It's perfectly normal.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
H. arizonensis go through a "diapause" period in the colder months. Mine disappear around late October/early November and I do not see them again until late March / early April the following spring. @CABIV

Last edited:

CABIV

Arachnosquire
To be sure, should i still attempt to feed it? Or will it do just fine in its burrow?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If it sealed it off I'd just leave it alone. It'll get hungry sooner or later and start hunting.