H. Arizonensis enclosure - advice?

Temjeito

Arachnopeon
I’m prepping a 10 gallon tank for a desert hairy scorpion and blue death feigning beetles. So far I’ve filled the tank with a mix of play sand and zoo med clay, created a small hide with a big rock, and added some decorations.
I have a ceramic bulb that sits on top of the tank. I’m wondering whether I need more hides for the Scorpion?

Also, what the best way to address temp/humidity? Should I put a heat pad on the side (if so, which side)? What kind of thermostat should I get?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. 2C6ED383-CEF6-4DEC-B610-56D205018A59.jpeg 9D3A365E-DD8F-403A-8572-FBB182508664.jpeg 9582E131-52AA-43CE-8707-6E3B5B308239.jpeg

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Get the temp to 80. If you have a heat bulb, you don’t need a heat pad. I would add a couple more hides and plants or branches. They have digital thermostats. Don’t get the tank humid, they are desert scorpions. Also, what size scorpion were you planning on? I guess if you get a small one, you could add the beetles and wait.

Temjeito

Arachnopeon
Get the temp to 80. If you have a heat bulb, you don’t need a heat pad. I would add a couple more hides and plants or branches. They have digital thermostats. Don’t get the tank humid, they are desert scorpions. Also, what size scorpion were you planning on? I guess if you get a small one, you could add the beetles and wait.
Thanks. The ceramic bulb does a decent job of keeping my existing tank (with the beetles) at 80 during the day. I turn it off at night. That’s also a 10 gallon but with about two inches of sand/coir. Humidity has been around 40-50 in that tank, though with summer coming it is getting higher (I’m in the NE United States).

I’m planning to get a scorpion from bugsincyberspace as soon as they have one in stock. I think they only sell adults (“medium to large specimens”). In the meantime I will probably put the beetles in there to get acclimated.

Desert scorps

Arachnobaron
agreed, the ceramic bulb will be enough, i keep mine around 85 during the day, and around 75 at night in the summer, and they are super active and amazing eaters. I drop the temps to 70-75 in winter. The ceramic bulb will also help prevent the humidity from being too high as well, since you said it’s 40-50% and getting higher. the bulb should bring that down to where they like it. just make sure to turn it off at night. Also, these guys are burrowers so more hides isn’t too necessary given the substrate is able to be burrowed into without collapsing. if it’s unable to burrow i’d give it more hides but the sand & clay mix is perfect for burrowing so you should be good. Also, use a small bottle cap in one corner of the enclosure (i like to put it on the opposite side of where the scorpion usually hides) and fill it up once every 2ish weeks and then let it completely dry out. that way they’ve got access to water, since it’s a common mistake that they “don’t need water.” their prey does supply them with a good amount but giving them an option to drink is always a good idea

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
Super cool tank design. I did something similar to my dune scorpion but instead of sand clay mix, I did sand and reptisoil. I like tropical builds but desert builds are fun because you have to find plants for their habitat. This is my three gallon for the dune scorpion.

Attachments

Temjeito

Arachnopeon
Super cool tank design. I did something similar to my dune scorpion but instead of sand clay mix, I did sand and reptisoil. I like tropical builds but desert builds are fun because you have to find plants for their habitat. This is my three gallon for the dune scorpion.
That looks great! What are the plants?