Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

H. Arizonensis / Desert Hairy moulting ideas. opinions/help pls!

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by axeline, Sep 9, 2019.

1. axeline

axeline Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi!

I’m a bit new to scorpions, but have kept a heterometrus sp. for a few months now and have been looking into the next species I’ll be getting which is a desert hairy and a devil scorpion (spinigerus)

The devil seems easy enough and I feel like I got that down, and same for desert hairy. The only struggle I’m facing for the desert hairy is what everyone seems to have a problem with: the moulting.

I’ve been reading around A Lot and seen some tricks others seem to be doing, and has also thought of a solution that I haven’t seen anyone mention. So I guess what I’m asking for with this post is if I’m on the right track, or if any of this is a big no go.

I’ve seen what scorpionluva has done with the solo-cup thing, which I will attempt. I’ve also seen someone use a pipe with some holes in the bottom on the side that goes all the way down to the bottom of the substrate to trickle some water into occasionally to replicate the difference in moisture levels the species experience in the wild, this I will also attempt as well as the cup thing.

I will be putting in a water dish as well, both for the scorpion and for the feigning death beetles I’ll hopefully get my hands on (bit difficult to find in sweden, but I’m waiting for a reply from a local website that could possibly get me some).

The other thing that I haven’t seen anyone mention trying, and that my roommate (whos very into tarantulas and plants) suggested is trying to put some LECA balls (which is used for plants a lot) in the very bottom of the substrate and trickle some droplets of water down there via the pipe thing to keep the bottom a bit moister and the rest dryer and then the scorpion can dig around and see where it’s most comfortable and where it wants to moult. I’ll be giving it as deep of a substrate as possible as well.

Of course it’s easier to just get an adult, and I’ll be trying to get that, but if I find a younger one I’ll still get it which is why I’m preparing for handling the moulting.

So, am I on the right track? Is anything a no go? Should I do all of this, or only one or two?

Thankful for answers! ♡

2. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

I would not keep death feigning beetles with young scorpions. They could be eaten when they molt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. axeline

axeline Arachnopeon

Yeah, obviously those are just if I get my hands on an adult one. This post was more about the moulting stuff in case I can’t get an adult, but thank you!

4. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    If you want to consider rearing young or breeding H.ariz. you will need a 4 foot tall tank, not long, tall, as you will need a minimum of 3 foot of substrate and a false bottom set up. Lava balls on the very bottom - 3 ins.deep - cover this with a layer or plastic netting- so the scorpion DOESN'T dig into it. In each corner place 15mm plastic tubes cut at an angle on the bottom of the tubes. then you can start adding you sand /clay mix 70% sand 30% clay to a depth of 3 foot, making sure the plastic tubes are at least 3-4 inches above the substrate. Then add water and maintain a level of half way up the lava balls, the rest of the substrate bone dry . Then the water will soak through the substrate enough to give a varied humidity level which is essential for young or sub adults molting. Don,t worry about the amount of water in the substrate because unlike tarantulas H.ariz. rely on humidity gradient throughout the substrate. If you keep adding water to the surface area of your tank your scorpion will end up with Mycosis

Piece of cake !!

5. axeline

axeline Arachnopeon

Woof, that sure is a lot! But thank you lots for the insight! Can I ask what lava balls are tho..? I’m swedish and I honestly have no idea what it is, despite googling... is it like LECA balls?

6. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    Lava balls are not too common now, clay balls are the popular drainage medium these days. Leca is just the trade name used by a manufacturer of clay balls.The system described in my above post is known commonly as" the false bottom system "

7. axeline

axeline Arachnopeon

Yes, I was planning to make a false bottom, but could clay balls be used instead of lava balls? because lava balls seem to be pretty much nonexistent in sweden

8. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

As @Dry Desert indicated breeding H. arizonensis is more detailed than with most species. It can be done but it requires a lot of effort.

9. woodie

woodie Arachnopeon Active Member

20190902_171659.jpg Use a method with fine gravel in bottom, Thin layer of peat for capillary action then a mix of clay and sand. Have straw in corner to add water directly to bottom. Creates humidity gradient

10. undeaddeaths

undeaddeaths Arachnosquire

I am currently using a similar set up with a humidity gradient for my Hadurus in premolt
    Top is bone dry then deeper in the sub is moist
    Knowing it needs the moisture for its molt it has dug into the more humid parts. Has been in the humid levels for the better part of a week and no signs of mycosis.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.