H. arizonensis Concerns

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm looking into getting a H. arizonensis soon that will be 2-3". After reading some "fun stories", I'm getting more nervous about it surviving the molting process.

Background:
I'll probably use about 6-8" of 30/70 clay/sand mix with some flat rocks glued together for stability.

I'll be keeping a small water cup in there for when/if it's thirsty. With my heated closet and mesh screen on the enclosure, I'm not worried so much about humidity from the water dish.

I have almost all the materials for the enclosure now, but am finding mixed opinions about including a small/partial false bottom for raising humidity when it's molting time.

Questions:
Should I add a small partial false bottom? Like a 1" tall by 2-3" wide on one of the sides? Just fill it with rocks and have a straw down to it.

What about using something like this to house some aquarium rocks (I have one I need to replace in a humidor):

Humidifier rectangle

Will the benefits outweigh the risks of having one of these even if I rarely use it?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The problem is that if the humidity is too high it could be an issue. Given their home range they are adapted to arid conditions for the most part but like you said giving them a water dish isn't a bad idea. I have a small bottle cap that I keep full of water for mine and I have seen them drinking from them on occasion.

I do not have a false bottom set up so I am not able to comment on that but your indication of the 70/30 sand/clay mix is spot on. It allows for a stable burrowing material that will not collapse on them.

Question; what is the ambient humidity in the room in which it will reside?

I believe I recall somewhere on the boards a member a while back who posted an incredibly detailed account of his H. arizonensis set up which included a false bottom and what not. I am unable to find it at present but I know I saw it here at one point.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The problem is that if the humidity is too high it could be an issue. Given their home range they are adapted to arid conditions for the most part but like you said giving them a water dish isn't a bad idea. I have a small bottle cap that I keep full of water for mine and I have seen them drinking from them on occasion.

I do not have a false bottom set up so I am not able to comment on that but your indication of the 70/30 sand/clay mix is spot on. It allows for a stable burrowing material that will not collapse on them.

Question; what is the ambient humidity in the room in which it will reside?

I believe I recall somewhere on the boards a member a while back who posted an incredibly detailed account of his H. arizonensis set up which included a false bottom and what not. I am unable to find it at present but I know I saw it here at one point.
The closet is generally between 35 and 40% usually so my T's water dishes don't evaporate right away.

My next question: are they truly as delicate as they are made out to be as far as molting?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My next question: are they truly as delicate as they are made out to be as far as molting?
I have seen YouTube videos where people's H. arizonensis have molted right on the surface on top of dry sand. Just type in Hadrurus arizonensis molting and a bunch come up. So they are a bit more finicky with molting yes but no they are not made of glass either.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have seen YouTube videos where people's H. arizonensis have molted right on the surface on top of dry sand. Just type in Hadrurus arizonensis molting and a bunch come up. So they are a bit more finicky with molting yes but no they are not made of glass either.
Do you think if I just put some cricket gel in a cup or put in a larger water dish around molt time that I can omit a partial false bottom?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Do you think if I just put some cricket gel in a cup or put in a larger water dish around molt time that I can omit a partial false bottom?
That gel stuff does not work for crickets or scorpions or anything else for that matter. Just keep a dish of normal (clean) fresh water in there.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That gel stuff does not work for crickets or scorpions or anything else for that matter. Just keep a dish of normal (clean) fresh water in there.
Oh sorry, I think you misunderstood. It wouldn't be for drinking from, it'd be to raise the humidity.

Those crystals retain moisture and when uneaten, give it back off like open water but without the drawback of spilling or drenching substrate when knocked over. Kinda like the stuff used in humidors.... maybe... :cigar:

Last edited: