H. albostriatum

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anybody else keep H. albostriatum? What are yours like in temperament and how are you keeping them?

Mine has become fairly mellow as it's grown. Not mellow enough to handle, but it doesn't seem to mind cage maintenance and hasn't made any threats in a very long time.

I'm just now moving mine from its sling home (a large jar) to a kritter keeper with several inches of damp peat moss. Once the spider moves out of the jar, I plan to add some cork bark, moss, and maybe a fake plant.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep mine in a large jar with about 6" soil. mine is only about 2"-21/2" .when I bought mine it came in a medium deli cup and was left in there for about 1month before I moved it. The deli cup was not very deep. But it never tried to bite or show any aggression when I lifted the lid for feeding and water. It would just run into its little hole and cower(spelling) down. When I moved it to the jar it was not speedy or anything.I love the little mound of dirt from its tunnel entrance.I watch them (my other Haplopelma's)at night. they sit right at the opening of there tunnels waiting for food. whats really cool is to put some dried leaves in there cage.I used Ficuss Benjamina leaves, there small. they will gather them up and camoflage the mound with the leaves .its preety funny
love those Hap's

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also have a H. albostriatum it doesn't seem to be too aggressive, like you say I don't think I would handle it but during maintenance and feeding it doesn't even rush down it's burrow anymore, it sits at the burrow entrance during the day also. It has only threat displayed me once and that was when he was new. All of the T's on my list none of them give me any threat displays, most are fairly long term captives and seem used to the feeding/maintenance schedule and show me not too much aggression. You have a nice little spider in your albostriatum, I don't know of many people who keep them.

Andy:D