Gyna Species Hides?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
!Hola! In a few weeks, I will be getting some Gyna caffrorum from a fellow member! I have a nice 10 gal setup from my local pet store with an acrylic lid. I was just wondering if they need a hide/piece of bark. From what I have seen, they normally never use any bark, but bury themselves under the sub/leaves. I'd like to save bark if I can help it ;). Will they even use cork bark, or can I just have 1-1.5" of soil + dead oak leaves? Here is the cage now, just the standard stuff without the food/water dishes.

Thanks for reading, Abyss

Attachments

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
They'll probably bury any hides you provide, though they may choose to cluster around them underground...
In any case, I don't think hides will be necessary, the substrate and the dead leaves provide them with all the hides they need! :)

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Got it! Also, just as an off-topic question, can Gyna species hybridize? Thinking of doing both G. caffrorum + lurida, but not sure if they could hybridize. Think it could be a cool setup if both could cohabitate and breed in the same 10 gal.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wouldn't risk it just to be safe. I don't know if they would hybridize, but since they're the same genus there's certainly a chance that it could happen.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Got it. Maybtry a communal in the future, just with other genera mixed in like Blaberus + Gyna :D

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
I don think anyone's managed to doit yet, but I'd say that there's a high chance that hybridization between G.cafforum and G.lurida could happen, so yeah I'd keep them separate. :)