Gulf Coast Toad

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Found one tonight. Right now he's in an empty 20G with a water bowl. He's a real cutie. After he ate the crickets I gave him he took a giant poo and defiled my tank :( {D {D

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have a digital camera at my disposal. Here's a picture from another website.

Gulf Coast Toad: Bufo valliceps

They used to be all over the place here every night during the summer but a few years ago they thinned out for some reason.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to have a 120 gal. I'd go out at night after a rain and collect them for Hognose snake food. I ended up letting all my Hognose go but hung on to several G toads. They got used to me and would eat out of my hand. When I walked by, they'd jump at me "thinking" I was something to eat. I've got a great pic somewhere of one with another in it's mouth. I dropped a cricket in the terr and two toads looked at the same crick. The smaller one grabbed it, then the bigger grabbed the smaller toad. It would have swallowed that smaller toad if I didn't pull him out of it's mouth. I'll look for the pic later. Anyway, yeah, they are kind of cool and I think they are taken for granted since they're so common around here.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We had a couple firebelly toads at the store do that {D This little guy is funny as he hops the length of the tank and back again. I only had one spare cricket tonight but I'll get some more tomorrow. If my friend doesn't want to keep him I'm just going to release him tomorrow night.

PS Guess which tank I had to fish that cricket out of Galapheros!

Last edited:

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This time of the year it is probably an adult. In a few months you should see lots of newly metamorphosed toadlets around - these better "adapt" to a captive environment.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well this little girl (not a he) is going in my friend's backyard. He released a male back there a while ago. Unfortunately the little girl has worms so he's not keeping her in a tank. After looking closely at her, my friend says she actually might be a natural hybrid.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All wild caught adult toads (any wild animal for that matter) has worms and alot of other parasites. And I have not heard of there being any N. American toad hybrids, some websites would be great!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We had a couple firebelly toads at the store do that {D This little guy is funny as he hops the length of the tank and back again. I only had one spare cricket tonight but I'll get some more tomorrow. If my friend doesn't want to keep him I'm just going to release him tomorrow night.

PS Guess which tank I had to fish that cricket out of Galapheros!
ooooooooo{D . It's good it was getting a new skin when you did that.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was really nervous doing that since I couldn't find my tongs! {D I pokes around with a pen first to make sure I wasn't going to get any nasty orange suprises