Guatemalan tiger rump

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
I need to know how to care for this species. My girlfriend bought one for me for our anniversary so it was a random buy but it's beautiful. I just need to know if it's aggressive, and what kind of habitat it likes. Thanks

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
They're not fast, but they're not slow either. I keep mine like a Pamphobeteus (classical tropical terrestrial). This is, of course, if you're talking about Davus pentaloris.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
All tarantulas can be defensive. In my opinion it is best not to handle them if you were asking for that reason. These are more skittish and will run and hide more than anything.

Davus pentaloris previously known under a number of names can be kept similar to Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Substrate should be deep enough for some burrowing especially from slings. A hide and some items to provide anchors for webbing are good along with a water dish. I have gone from damp substrate to dry with a damp area as mine have grown. I keep mine at room temp @70 F on the low end to high 70s and they are doing fine.

Last edited:

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
All tarantulas can be defensive. In my opinion it is best not to handle them if you were asking for that reason.

Davus pentaloris previously known under a number of names can be kept similar to Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Substrate should be deep enough for some burrowing especially from slings. A hide and some items to provide anchors for webbing are good along with a water dish. I have gone from damp substrate to dry with a damp area as mine have grown. I keep mine at room temp @70 F on the low end to high 70s and they are doing fine.
This is her. The pet store does a horrible job with enclosures. Way less than half an inch of substrate, no moisture, not the right substrate either.

Attachments

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Substrate can be a highly debated topic.....I like dirt (additive free topsoil) and peat. Others love corr/coconut husk.

Mine are around that size right now as best as I can tell from the picture. Here is a pic of one my enclosures right now. Yes the sticks are bamboo chopsticks....That particular T did all of that in one week

This is right after it was put into the enclosure.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
Substrate can be a highly debated topic.....I like dirt (additive free topsoil) and peat. Others love corr/coconut husk.

Mine are around that size right now as best as I can tell from the picture. Here is a pic of one my enclosures right now. Yes the sticks are bamboo chopsticks....That particular T did all of that in one week

So you added about 3 or 4 inches of substrate in that enclosure right? And that's really pretty, all that webbing.. never had a T that did that much

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
The enclosure isn't all that big. It is a Really Useful Box 1.6 liter, its about 6 1/2x 5 inches on the outside. I believe that I started with about 1 1/2 " of sub, but it' hard to tell now. These guys will take a lot of that and move it above ground.

edit: For those who are interested in the Really Useful Box they are great, but...The lid has a gap that some Ts could escape through. I fill the gap with backer rod, a foam stick that can be cut to fill the gaps.

Dylan Campbell

Arachnosquire
The enclosure isn't all that big. It is a Really Useful Box 1.6 liter, its about 6 1/2x 5 inches on the outside. I believe that I started with about 1 1/2 " of sub, but it' hard to tell now. These guys will take a lot of that and move it above ground.
Pretty interesting. Thanks for the info bud

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight

Won't the bamboo sticks start growing mold?