Grubs/Larvae

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Tarantulas are opportunistic hunters. They'll eat anything eventually. Waxworms, superworms, crickets, roaches, hornworms... you get the idea.

Feed it what you have available, just don't feed it anything you caught in the wild. Store bought only. Live bait from bait shops works as well, by the way.

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
My T is an L Parahybana who's just about to molt (she's around 3.75 inches right now) and I wanted to find something for her. I was going to get some roaches but I also was wondering about hornworms and wax worms. What do I have to do to take care of them?

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
From the subjective things Ive read here, larvae and catepillars (ie waxworms/hornworms) are fine for Ts on occaison but have less calcium and more fat, leading to differences in nutrition. They are not bad for the spider but I would think a diet of purely larvae would mean fatter spiders with less growth between molts, but I dont think it has been studied sufficiently, unless one of our actual entos happens across my post and knows.

As Eulers mentioned they are opportunistic insectivores and will eat anything they feel is prey, stick to store raised, hard shelled insects. The easiest transition I know of as your T or Ts get bigger is crickets to superworms. 1 or 2 supers is enough of a meal for even large spiders.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My T is an L Parahybana who's just about to molt (she's around 3.75 inches right now) and I wanted to find something for her. I was going to get some roaches but I also was wondering about hornworms and wax worms. What do I have to do to take care of them?
Well, if it's about to molt then it probably won't eat at all. I usually stop offering food entirely until they molt. Some of these feeders can kill a molting tarantula if left uneaten. Not kidding at all.

sasker

Arachnoprince
You can also consider fruit beetle larvae (Pachnoda sp). Just beware that they can bite.

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
Well, if it's about to molt then it probably won't eat at all. I usually stop offering food entirely until they molt. Some of these feeders can kill a molting tarantula if left uneaten. Not kidding at all.
Last time I offered her food was about a month and a half ago her abdomen turned black about 2 days ago.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Last time I offered her food was about a month and a half ago her abdomen turned black about 2 days ago.
I mean, that doesn't really matter. A month and a half is nothing in terms of no food. Don't offer food again until it molts.

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
Ok, I narrowed it down to black solider fly larvae, hornworms and dubia roaches I probably will change what I feed my T, any reccommendations out of these?

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
I mean, that doesn't really matter. A month and a half is nothing in terms of no food. Don't offer food again until it molts.
I offered her food twice since I got her 2 months ago and haven't offered any since the second time and don't plan to offer any until she does molt