Grrrrrr Refusal to eat superworms

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Ok this little finnicky Chilli Rose has absolutely refused to eat Superworms. After snacking on one a week ago she won't go after them anymore. I don't like wasting money. Anyone found a way to spank their T's? LOL I'll be trying Goliath worms or the B Dubias later this week. Whichever she chooses she'll be dining heartily. Has anyone ever had trouble with their T's snacking on Goliath worms?

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The one I had as a kid didn't eat for almost a year. Pretty normal for this species to fast for long periods. As long as it looks and acts healthy, don't sweat it.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
The one I had as a kid didn't eat for almost a year. Pretty normal for this species to fast for long periods. As long as it looks and acts healthy, don't sweat it.
Well it's not that she wasn't eating at all, she'd smack the crickets every now and then, but the superworms she seems to want no parts of. I want her to eat more fatty foods since I bought her from the pet store because she seems a bit lean to me, and i just don't like crickets at all. They are more of a nuisance to me.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
My rosea refused the superworms for the longest time aswell, only went for crickets. now she'll eat them but wont eat the roaches I just got! :wall:

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well it's not that she wasn't eating at all, she'd smack the crickets every now and then, but the superworms she seems to want no parts of. I want her to eat more fatty foods since I bought her from the pet store because she seems a bit lean to me, and i just don't like crickets at all. They are more of a nuisance to me.
100% with you on the crickets... nasty smelly chirping things. Hopefully you have better luck with the others :D

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
@Nicole thanks. Considering I've been reading alot about the other T species I'm gonna get, I think I'll use my Chili Rose eating menu for all of them. Other T's I'm interested in aren't so picky from what I've been reading. The LP's and the AV's...

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow are they cats or tarantulas? lol That's just too picky.
Lol my cat is 35lbs (i got her that way), she will eat anything you give her.

My G. Rosea hasn't eaten in months; initially i was worried, but she/he is still super active and as pissy as ever.

Ingar

Arachnopeon
wow are they cats or tarantulas? lol That's just too picky.
Totally agree. Sometimes it is harsh with picky ones. My B. boehmey eats only punished roaches and pretty active frogs - it is very strange to understat their logics.. :? But my AF parahybana after last molt eats only big roaches now. Earlier she ates everythink...:mad:

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
You own a ROSEA,you may as well just get used to this refusal to eat,very earlly on in my research of species I would like to own I ruled out G.rosea for this reason I'v heard on this site of fasting for as long as one to two years.Hope your patient.As for me not so much!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You own a ROSEA,you may as well just get used to this refusal to eat,very earlly on in my research of species I would like to own I ruled out G.rosea for this reason I'v heard on this site of fasting for as long as one to two years.Hope your patient.As for me not so much!
this. i thought pickiniess at first when i tried dubias, waxworms and mealworms with both my roseas, but it turned out it was flat out refusal to eat. try the new food items when your rosea is more likely to be hungry... which may be a long time from now depending on how much you have already fed it.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most T's don't take well to superworms. They burrow really quick, and T's seem to have trouble with wormy shaped things. Just my experience.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon

You know what? It's strange you said that because I felt the EXACT same way you did when it took me 3 weeks to make my mind up on my first T. I had 6 to choose from at the local pet store, and I said, nope I'm not gettin that moody Rosea. But sure enough I get to the store and , guess who is on her way home with us? LOL Wasn't about the price either. Something just took me in about her. But I'm about to add to the collection in a few days, so my mind is all over the place with the species to get. LP's are definately in the lead.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You try one of the freshly shed worms? The really pale superworms? Maybe she wants something softer.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you get butterworms or waxworms from any petstores nearby? I don't use our Totalpet very often but they are the only ones in town here that sell them so I will occasionally grab a few there. There are nice and soft, very nutritious (and fatty) and they don't burrow! I hate mealworms; I think they are a pain in the arse. One drawback with the butter and waxworms is that they don't move as much, if your T prefers faster moving things to pounce on. They are also very squooshy so you might want to clean up after if they drip in your substrate when your T is feasting.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If all you are wanting to do is fatten your tarantula up, feed her more roaches or crix. I highly doubt in the wild these spiders eat worms of any kind. just feed her what she will take.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
If all you are wanting to do is fatten your tarantula up, feed her more roaches or crix. I highly doubt in the wild these spiders eat worms of any kind. just feed her what she will take.
I highly doubt they're caged up in the wild either. But on a more intelligent note, these are hunters. If they come across a slithering food opportunity they take it. That's like saying a Tarantula won't go after a snake, and we all know they will in a heartbeat if they feel they can take it.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you get butterworms or waxworms from any petstores nearby? I don't use our Totalpet very often but they are the only ones in town here that sell them so I will occasionally grab a few there. There are nice and soft, very nutritious (and fatty) and they don't burrow! I hate mealworms; I think they are a pain in the arse. One drawback with the butter and waxworms is that they don't move as much, if your T prefers faster moving things to pounce on. They are also very squooshy so you might want to clean up after if they drip in your substrate when your T is feasting.
er, from looking up feeder insect nutritional information in the past i was under the impression butterworms had way too much calcium content to feed on a regular basis to tarantulas? i'd love some clarification if the content is okay though, (even if i wont be using them) just so i'm not out spreading misinfo.

i will say that waxworms every once in a while go over quite well with my Ts, but i hardly do it enough to call "often". it can be done, but i would stick with roaches or crickets as your main staple. the waxworms, if you dont practically mangle them or tong feed tend to dissapear into sub, or at least thats been my experience.