Growth rates - heros, mebbe subspinipes

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking about ordering an S. heros, but most or all of the ones I see available are immature. And I want my first pede to be a big one. So could I get some info on growth rates? I'm wondering mostly about the time from 3-4" to 7-8"... and rates for subspinipes would be great too.
I'm a little impatient. :}

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm thinking about ordering an S. heros, but most or all of the ones I see available are immature. And I want my first pede to be a big one. So could I get some info on growth rates? I'm wondering mostly about the time from 3-4" to 7-8"... and rates for subspinipes would be great too.
I'm a little impatient. :}
this was addressed in your other post.
and i also said if you want one i would keep an eye out for ya one...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I got one possible answer about S. heros... but I'd like more opinions, if possible.
And thanks, but don't worry about looking for a centipede for me... if there's any place you recommend, that's great - otherwise, I'll be ok.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I've experienced, S. heros pedes growth rate varies dramatically from one individual to another. I have about 50 babies from last year. Been kind of a pain sometimes but I'm glad I kept so many. Interesting to see them grow. I think eggs were laid the first week of June of last year. I could nail that down by looking at an old pic. A few are over 3 inches and will probably hit close to 4 inches after the next molt. I'm hoping that will happen before June so I can get that growth info at the one year mark. One of the bigger ones made a chamber and is pre-molt so that'll be interesting. A few look tiny compared to the few bigger ones. Then there are all sizes in between. The smallest ones are 1.5 inches or smaller. And my opinion is that you never know what you genetically are going to get as far as adult size goes. It could stop growing between 4 and 5 inches or turn into a monster and go 10+! But, some people would rather have a 4 or 5 inch pede than a bigger one. A 4 to 5 inch pede is plenty to look at and a space saver too. I don't know about S. subspinipes. I've never had baby subs. But I'm guessing you'd have a pretty big subspinipes in 2 years if brought up from a pling.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, it sounds like subspinipes de haani/Mai chau and heros tend to grow larger than regular subspinipes's. But do you think the extra money ($10-$35 more) and the pain in the ass of ordering online (and dangers associated with that) are worth the (possible?) size bonus?

gunks

Arachnopeon
Heya Pulk!

Noticed you're posting a lot of questions on the board so I thought I'd help you out:

There's a "search" feature on these boards. Look in the upper right corner of your screen in the box above the forums, just below where it says Welcome, Pulk.

I'm a pretty new member of the boards myself, and also new to the hobby. And let me tell you, that search feature is great! Just put in keywords (or the whole question - but results are iffy as you get too specific) and you're going to get a topic with all the answers!

Its a good feature to use as you wont need to really wait around for responses to your questions as just about everything to discuss (FAQ wise at least) has been discussed.

Anyways man, hope that helps :)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always search before making a post. If I post something that somebody has already answered at some point, it's because I want more than one opinion on it. But thanks anyway.

So unless this can be found by searching (I don't believe it can) I would still like to know if there is anything more than a tiny size difference between the average adult sizes of S. subspinipes subspinipes and S. heros or between S. subspinipes subspinipes and S. subspinipes de haani.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I always search before making a post. If I post something that somebody has already answered at some point, it's because I want more than one opinion on it. But thanks anyway.

So unless this can be found by searching (I don't believe it can) I would still like to know if there is anything more than a tiny size difference between the average adult sizes of S. subspinipes subspinipes and S. heros or between S. subspinipes subspinipes and S. subspinipes de haani.
how big is a cat? the "maximum" expected sizes are available , but who knows how big YOURS will get? Like gala said , the SHC may stop growing at 5" or get over 10"
they generally state them up to 8" but i have seen them a good bit longer than that .
"As adults, all the subspecies of S. subspinipes range in size from 4” (10 Cm) - like *Scolopendra s. japonica, up to 8” (20 cm) like Scolopendra s. subspinipes. " from
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/centipedes/VietnameseCentipede.php

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My two first centipedes were a Sc.h.Castaneiceps and a Sc.s.Dehaani. They're now both two years old. The sc.h.c is now 5'' while the subspinipes is 6''. The growht rate will vary with the feeding frequency and the general wellbeing of your animal...

phil.