Growth/Molting

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

I have a 3 inch juvinile female A.Geniculata and was wondering how often they molt (ive had her for about a month now and shes showed no signs so far) and how large i should expect her to be after her next molt?? Id like to know incase i should provide a larger cage or something. Thanks

Mark

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got one about the same size and she has yet to have had a molt under my care. She never refuses food and her abdomen is quite plump. How long have you had yours?

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They grow fairly fast and so molt fairly often. IME the pre-molt period is pretty brief, they might refuse one meal before hand, and then a couple days later, boom. My off the top of my head estimate for growth between instars is maybe 20-25%?

Wade

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Wade. Even though I didn't start the thread, you've taken a load off my mind.

Botar

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, I have one also and it kinda goes against the rules. With humdity and temp just right, it's growing at an extremely slow rate. Even with an abdomen that looks as though it's going to pop, it took forever to molt. And it's only about 1/2 an inch now.

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
piggy T

:) hi , i have a geniculata s,ling too. she is only the size of a penny but she has molted once now and even at such a small size you can begin to see her adult colours , very strange but exciting:) the person who i brought her off told me that at even such a small size they can take down a brown cricket so i tried it. disabled the cricket first but it was like a miniature of watching a lion take down a wilderbeast:eek: that was yesterday afternoon , checked this morning and the entire cricket is gone:)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I bought mine 6-21-02. It molted on 7- 9-02. It went form 1/3" to about 5/8". It molted again on 9-2-02. Went from 5/8" to 1". I thought they molted often, from what mine was doing. It has quit eatting again so I'm expecting a molt sometime soon. Its showing nice color now, really white knees. Hope its a girl.

Ernie