Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Growing various cactus from seed

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by Mojo Jojo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    I thought it would be fun to try growing cactus from seed. It should be fun to watch the seedlings develop.

[​IMG]

2. loreleisg

loreleisg Arachnopeon

What species are they?

3. Mojo Jojo

Here's the list of seed that was in this mixed packet: Saguaro, Hedgehog, Fishhook Barrel, Dollar Prickly Pear, Christmas Cholla, Cane Cholla, Santa Rita Prickly Pear, and Cardo'n.

I'm most interested in the Cane Cholla. I had a very nice one when I lived in Vegas.

Here's a new pic that shows a little bit more growth:

[​IMG]

4. Is the cholla you are growing the "jumping" type?

Growing cacti from seed is so rewarding :)

5. Mojo Jojo

No. The spines will "jump" but they don't bring a segment of the cactus with them.

6. Marey

Marey Arachnopeon

Is it ok to grow different species in one place?

7. Hmmm I never thought about growing cacti from seeds. Is it as easy as growing anything else from seed? Is the germination period very long?

8. J Morningstar

J Morningstar Arachnoprince Old Timer

Unless you have the right conditions, geremination isn't usually the hard part but getting them through the first year is the tough part. Like remembering to keep them watered and not to let them completely turn into little dry husks. I've done it twice before, but never got them to go over a half inch before something catastrophic happened.

9. How about some update shots? :)

10. Tim Benzedrine

Tim Benzedrine Prankster Possum Old Timer

That was my experience too. I also grew two bunches, one when I was just a kid, the other a few years ago. The first time they damped off before they got very developed and the second time some of them developed spines and look like tiny cacti and then they withered. It is a bit of a balancing act because over-watering is bad too, of course. Still, it was fun and a little exciting and I may take another shot at it someday.

11. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

Updates! :)

I've been growing some mistletoe cactus from seed for a few months now. They seem to grow ridiculously slow.

12. J Morningstar

J Morningstar Arachnoprince Old Timer

I think I am going to use only distilled water next time and see if it was the wonderful poisions in our drinking water that 'offed them.
    :alien:

13. Lucas339

Lucas339 Arachnobaron Old Timer

im planning on trying lithops seeds here soon.

14. kjm

kjm Arachnosquire

Very cool, I would have never thought to do that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.