Growing Pains

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey all,
I never thought to ask this question before...but now that I've started wondering, the search for the answer is killing me. Does a T (I'm thinking s'lings in this case) get bigger without a moult? Do they get a little bigger, then they have a moult, then they get bigger still? Or do they only grow larger at the end of a moult?
Thanks,
Paul

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first and I'm sure won't be the last) but I've read that tarantulas only grow longer after a molt. I know they can get heavier any time though.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know mine's belly has gotten a lot bigger with all those crickets devoured without a trace.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A spider's abdomen grows between molts, but the legs and cephalothorax-area does not grow, since it is hard exo-skeleton. When a spider molts, the cephalothorax and legs grow, but the abdomen stays the same size (I think). Its abdomen fattens up before the next molt, and the cycle starts over again.
greetz,
Joost

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
the only part of the exoskeleton pliable enough to allow for growth between molts is the abdomen. Legs and cephalothorax will only grow with a molt.

Scott

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scientific terms

That helps a lot, thanks guys. I was just curious because people have been telling me Peso looks better, though he's only had one cricket leg, and one cricket abdomen.
Can you guys give me a link to a scientific diagram (with labels) of a T? Obviously I know the abdomen, and I think I know the palps (i could guess the booklungs), but sometimes you people use terms that I don't understand.
There sure is a lot to learn about these arachnids.
Paul

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How large is your spider? Put a live cricket in there that's nearly as big as he is and see what he does in a few minutes - you might be surprised

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rookie-

The books "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Shultz and Shultz and "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" by Marshall both have excellent diagrams of the parts of a tarantula. atshq.org has a downloadable invertebrate glossary of nearly all relative terms.

Wade