Growing back body parts

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Very interesting question. I've only heard of anecdotal evidence of this happening, however. I personally don't think it can happen, at least not commonly enough to worry about it.

More interesting is what happens when fangs regenerate after an injury. With every recovered fang I've seen, the venom duct is always either obstructed or missing entirely. I actually made a thread when I first noticed this, have a look (pictures):
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/macro-shots-of-damaged-fangs.283691/

I believe that NW terrestrials would be less burdened by the decrease (or outright absence) of venom than an OW or arboreal. Generally, the latter two groups rely much more on venom potency to take down prey than strength. Many NW terrestrials display heavy mastication - that is, chewing their prey. Death by mutilation is how they usually take down prey anyway. In short, if a relatively weak Chilobrachys lost the use of both venom ducts, it might be in for some prekilled prey for awhile. On the other hand, a Nhandu wouldn't notice much of a difference.
Just read that thread. So if a tarantula's fangs regrow, they don't use venom any more? Has the Nhandu molted and gotten her venom back since?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just read that thread. So if a tarantula's fangs regrow, they don't use venom any more? Has the Nhandu molted and gotten her venom back since?
No, you misunderstood. It's that a regenerating fang may have a blocked venom duct until the next molt. It will clear up eventually, but it may be a couple molts before that happens.

As for my Nhandu, I don't dare try to get a look under her. She's one of my more defensive spiders. She eats just fine though.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
No, you misunderstood. It's that a regenerating fang may have a blocked venom duct until the next molt. It will clear up eventually, but it may be a couple molts before that happens.
Ah yes, that's what i meant. I worded it badly.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Saying what you said isn't Texas talk man. It's pretty much in any of the southern slang speak. :p

Y'all is short for "you all" but it's used the same as a northern person saying you guys.

It basically means I don't have time to worry about X. I can't remember which comedian made that saying popular.

Slang has always been around and is often like accents you pick up what is common in your area and other areas slang seems odd to you. When my Mom says cool it means it's chilly. When I say cool it means something is neat. :D

That fact that you actually watched this show concerns me more then any of the crazy slang we have seen on this thread. :p
It was like watching a train go offtrack...you don't want to watch it but you can't stop looking....

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Ya, I noticed the join date after I posted. Just assumed it was a newbie from the amount of posts. That's why I shouldn't assume things lol.
I've been keeping porteri and or rosies for years, but I have very little experince with other Ts. So I do consider myself a noob. I'm a former frog keeper, and drifted here from dendroboards.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I've been keeping porteri and or rosies for years, but I have very little experince with other Ts. So I do consider myself a noob. I'm a former frog keeper, and drifted here from dendroboards.
I've lurked around quite a bit over there researching dart frog builds. A lot of talented people there.