Growing back body parts

cold blood

Staff member
Can they see out of regenerated eyes?
Can they walk on regenerated legs?

Is it really that hard to tell that "y'all" is just a shortened version of "you guys"? Or that "ain't" means "isn't"? :/
Y'all means you all...or everybody...used to address a group or groups of individuals.

'ain't nobody got time fo that' has me scratching my head for example. The meme means that there isn't time for something specific to do, but the grammar is all off, ain't and nobody essentially saying the same thing. The grammar would be correct if she stated that 'there isn't anybody who has time for that'
Crazy how i am actually explaining grammar to a native english speaker. I don't even know the grammatical terms so this is hard.
It simply means that the person will not waste their time on such a trivial task and neither would most people. Another way of saying that one is wasting one's time.

Like if you said "I check water dishes every hour and top them off with a dropper so they are always full"

I might then reply "ain't nobody got time fo that"

I just know i really really needed subtitles when I watched 'here comes Honey Boo Boo'. That was the first and last episode to be honest..
95% of people living in the US needed subtitles for that god awful show.:bag:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I didn't know about the name change. Thanks!
Not only the name changed my man, but changed also the common name (in the hearts of purists only, sadly, because ignorants out there are still too much and those kafirs still say 'king baboon') and She gained a new status: Goddess.

So... let me introduce You to the new changes that arachno-pundits refuse to admit.

New common name:
Queen Baboon (why call with a male term, King, a huge hissing female, after all... especially considering how much pathetic and little are 1.0 Pelinobius muticus?)

Correct Status (declared by me, Chris LXXIX, Goddess humble Priest founder of the Cult):
Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) :bookworm:

Correct Nomenclature:

"
Ruler of Theraphosidae, Her Excellency, Field Baboon Hissing Leader Supreme Matriarchy, VC, DSO, MC, Goddess of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, Ruler of ALL Africa red earth land with Uganda and Kenya dry savannah in particular."

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Can they walk on regenerated legs?

Y'all means you all...or everybody...used to address a group or groups of individuals.

It simply means that the person will not waste their time on such a trivial task and neither would most people. Another way of saying that one is wasting one's time.

Like if you said "I check water dishes every hour and top them off with a dropper so they are always full"

I might then reply "ain't nobody got time fo that"

95% of people living in the US needed subtitles for that god awful show.:bag:
Oh, I know what the meme means, it was just an example of twisted grammar. Reading it is no problem.

Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought that show was garbage :D

boina

Lady of the mites
It also states that most adult females have an ultimate molt and because of that can't regenerate legs after that molt.
That isn't correct is it?
Ah, I didn't catch that bit. No, that's not true either. Females do not have ultimate molts. They will eventually die of old age, but they never stop molting until death.
He wasn't talking about tarantulas at that point but about ALL spiders. Most true spider females do have an ultimate molt.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a P. murinus spiderling take a dive off of the kitchen table as it was unwrapped. Dumb mistake by the other person. Since they molt so quickly when small, it had regenerated completely by the third molt. It was stubby on the first molt, but it came back to run another day.

Did you know when tarantula molt, during this process, a tarantula will cast off its entire outer skin as well as the linings of some internal organs for a new one that has been forming underneath for a few weeks. Legs, hair, fangs, spinners, reproductive organs…all are cast off during molting. They literally molt the inside of their stomachs.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can they see out of regenerated eyes?
This reminds me of that old piano joke.
A patient asks their doctor if they will be able to play piano after a surgery. The doctor responds with "Of course you will!" To which the patient replies, "Awesome, I never could before!"

On a more serious note, I wish there was a study that could see the internal generation of tarantula parts during premolt. Specifically a lost appendage.

I figure there isn't an easy (read: cheap) way to see the development of body parts inside the exoskeleton. I figure if you could, it would be like a tent before you put it up.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
On a more serious note, I wish there was a study that could see the internal generation of tarantula parts during premolt. Specifically a lost appendage.

I figure there isn't an easy (read: cheap) way to see the development of body parts inside the exoskeleton. I figure if you could, it would be like a tent before you put it up.

There are plenty of studies that detail the regeneration of the various anatomy of spiders especially the appendages. It's just not freely available on the internet. The book Biology of Spiders by Rainer Foelix sums it all up quite nicely and in great detail as well as provides the references to the studies. Tarantulas are not unique in their ability to regenerative various body parts although different spider taxa have different regenerative capability. Again, Biology of Spiders goes into it all in detail and does make some comparison as to which spiders can regenerate what and when.

Seeing the development of the various spider anatomy during regeneration isn't too difficult or costly. In the studies that detail it, it first requires the removal of one or more appendages of several specimens of one or more species. These spiders used for study will need to be killed at various points between stadia (intermolt periods) and cross sections of the developing limb will need to be studied under a compound microscope to view the layers of cuticle as well as the regenerating muscle, nerve, and other tissue. When a leg is completely removed at the trochanter/ femur joint for instance, the coxal cavity will need to be opened for that leg to see the newly developing leg forming. Any amateur with a quality compound microscope, micro dissection kit, and the knowledge of what to look for can do this.

It could be costly though if one wants to study regeneration specifically in tarantulas without access to a large of population of wild tarantulas to collect from. The cost then would be to buy and house many of one species from a dealer or biological supply company.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There are plenty of studies that detail the regeneration of the various anatomy of spiders especially the appendages. It's just not freely available on the internet. The book Biology of Spiders by Rainer Foelix sums it all up quite nicely and in great detail as well as provides the references to the studies. Tarantulas are not unique in their ability to regenerative various body parts although different spider taxa have different regenerative capability. Again, Biology of Spiders goes into it all in detail and does make some comparison as to which spiders can regenerate what and when.

Seeing the development of the various spider anatomy during regeneration isn't too difficult or costly. In the studies that detail it, it first requires the removal of one or more appendages of several specimens of one or more species. These spiders used for study will need to be killed at various points between stadia (intermolt periods) and cross sections of the developing limb will need to be studied under a compound microscope to view the layers of cuticle as well as the regenerating muscle, nerve, and other tissue. When a leg is completely removed at the trochanter/ femur joint for instance, the coxal cavity will need to be opened for that leg to see the newly developing leg forming. Any amateur with a quality compound microscope, micro dissection kit, and the knowledge of what to look for can do this.

It could be costly though if one wants to study regeneration specifically in tarantulas without access to a large of population of wild tarantulas to collect from. The cost then would be to buy and house many of one species from a dealer or biological supply company.
I guess scientifically it wouldn't be that hard if maintaining the animals life was not the goal. I forget not everyone keeps them as pets.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Y'all ain't educated on this here matter, sonny boys. Texan is the only way to really talk.
Saying what you said isn't Texas talk man. It's pretty much in any of the southern slang speak. :p
Is it really that hard to tell that "y'all" is just a shortened version of "you guys"? Or that "ain't" means "isn't"? :/
Y'all is short for "you all" but it's used the same as a northern person saying you guys.

'ain't nobody got time fo that' has me scratching my head for example.
It basically means I don't have time to worry about X. I can't remember which comedian made that saying popular.
Lel I know the grammar can be wrong for sayings like "ain't nobody got time for that". That's not a mistake native to Texas, though. Think of the phrase "I could care less". It really means "I could NOT care less". Why do people say it wrong? They know it's wrong but they're used to saying it that way.
Slang has always been around and is often like accents you pick up what is common in your area and other areas slang seems odd to you. When my Mom says cool it means it's chilly. When I say cool it means something is neat. :D

just know i really really needed subtitles when I watched 'here comes Honey Boo Boo'. That was the first and last episode to be honest..
That fact that you actually watched this show concerns me more then any of the crazy slang we have seen on this thread. :p

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The actual problem with "there ain't nobody" is that it is a double negative and in essence you are saying there is somebody.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Do fangs ever get clogged when they eat?
Very interesting question. I've only heard of anecdotal evidence of this happening, however. I personally don't think it can happen, at least not commonly enough to worry about it.

More interesting is what happens when fangs regenerate after an injury. With every recovered fang I've seen, the venom duct is always either obstructed or missing entirely. I actually made a thread when I first noticed this, have a look (pictures):
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/macro-shots-of-damaged-fangs.283691/

I believe that NW terrestrials would be less burdened by the decrease (or outright absence) of venom than an OW or arboreal. Generally, the latter two groups rely much more on venom potency to take down prey than strength. Many NW terrestrials display heavy mastication - that is, chewing their prey. Death by mutilation is how they usually take down prey anyway. In short, if a relatively weak Chilobrachys lost the use of both venom ducts, it might be in for some prekilled prey for awhile. On the other hand, a Nhandu wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Very interesting question. I've only heard of anecdotal evidence of this happening, however. I personally don't think it can happen, at least not commonly enough to worry about it.

More interesting is what happens when fangs regenerate after an injury. With every recovered fang I've seen, the venom duct is always either obstructed or missing entirely. I actually made a thread when I first noticed this, have a look (pictures):
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/macro-shots-of-damaged-fangs.283691/

I believe that NW terrestrials would be less burdened by the decrease (or outright absence) of venom than an OW or arboreal. Generally, the latter two groups rely much more on venom potency to take down prey than strength. Many NW terrestrials display heavy mastication - that is, chewing their prey. Death by mutilation is how they usually take down prey anyway. In short, if a relatively weak Chilobrachys lost the use of both venom ducts, it might be in for some prekilled prey for awhile. On the other hand, a Nhandu wouldn't notice much of a difference.
I think, they think, that tarantulas eat THROUGH their fangs. I may be mistaken though.

EDIT: Probably mistaken lol, I most likely took their comment wrong.