Ground Walnut?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone tryed ground Walnut for their substrate? I am out of peat moss for the moment and this is all I had sitting around. Its for a pedersons ornamental.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If the ornamental stayed up off the substrate, you should be fine. Crushed walnut shells can be abrasive to the T's underside so I would recommend staying with peat.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I thought about just laying down a layer of this walnut stuff and using some left over peat to try and cover most of it and tomarrow going to get some coconut bricks. would you still stick to peat?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just to be on the safe side, I would stick with peat. You don't want to chance it and have your T come up with a cut on it's belly.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i used to use crushed walnut shells for substrate with desert species and had no problems. however, if you're housing a species that needs moisture or will want to burrow, you should stick to peat.

it's very cheap (under $10 for a huge, compacted bag at Lowes or Home Depot), and will hold moisture if sprayed occasionally. i have also dried it out for my desert species, and they love it. it gives them plenty of opportunity to burrow, is very light weight.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea I would stick with peat, if your worried about not having any, honestly the T would be fine just over night with nothing really. Then tomorrow just make sure you go purchase some.

The cocofiber works ok too, but its just such a hassle to have to deal with and is alot more money than just buying peat.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i would go with the cocofiber as soon as possible i never used crushed walnut shells as i think it can be a bit sharp for the ( t ) to be walking or sitting on -- phil

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would never ever use that walnut for substrate. I would go outside and dig up some topsoil before I would use that

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried the ground walnut once for keeping small rodents, and didn't even like it for that. Stick with peat or potting soil.