Ground Dwelling Spiders in Montecito California

GWENHA

Arachnopeon
Hi,
Last week I was horse back riding in the hills above Santa Barbara, California in Montecito. The coast is quite close, but we were in a hilly area covered with dried grass. I saw hundreds of thousands of these spider webs/holes on the ground. Their webs absolutely covered the entire hillside in a fine cloudy cover. The Horse Back riding instructor said he takes that trail a lot and just noticed them this morning(July 24) too. So, I assume this could possibly be a seasonal thing. Some holes were incredibly small, just a centimeter or so. Some holes were very large, about 2 inches. Does anybody have any idea what kind of spiders live in these holes? Attached is the one image I could get that showed the size of the hole where you can actually see the fine webbing that goes along with it. Unfortunately I didn't see any spider, but based on what I described, can anybody tell me what kind of spiders these are or may be?

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Next time you're there, get a long blade of grass and gently prod the webbing on the outside of the burrow, shaking the blade of grass ever so slightly. This will tempt whatever's inside to come out. Don't be surprised if it rushes out! Take a pic of the spider if you can get it out.