greenbottle blue fangs stuck in molt

malinbjorg

Arachnopeon
For the benefit of those who may find this thread while researching a similar problem, what tools and technique did you use to get the exuviae off the jaws and fangs?
first i flipped him on his back so i would be able to see where i needed to cut off the exuviae and to find a good place to start. then i used a lot of water from a syringe to moist the exuviae so it would be easier to peel of....first a started to carefully cut at the very end, right above the fangs, with some new nail-scissors. i was able to make a hole right above the fangs...so i just worked my way from there by carefully peel of small pieces with some tweezer., i also used a needle (not the pointy end) to get in between the chelicerae...and most importantly A LOT OF PATIENCE, you dont want to rush it because that could easy hurt the tarantula

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Sorry to hear. Bad molts can happen to anyone, so don't beat yourself up over it. You went above and beyond trying to save it.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am so sorry. You really did an amazing job of caring for the lil guy though. :shy:
::hugs::

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
I just read through this thread, and I am so sorry to hear that your little one didn't make it. :( You did really amazing work getting the old exo off.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Real sorry to hear that things ended like that. But know you did everything you could to help your little guy out and give him the best chance possible. My condolences, @malinbjorg :(

cold blood

Staff member
I just had a P. cancerides molt...she was on her molt funny, so I went to remove the fresh molt and found that she was stuck at the fangs...but because it was still fresh, it took me all of 10 seconds to extract it.....time is always of the essence, and the sooner you get there to help, the more and easier help you can offer.

Sorry to hear about your t @malinbjorg :(

OliverWhatever

Arachnosquire
It's so good to see someone who cares so deeply for a spider that they would go to this length to help him, rather than disregarding him as a lost cause.
Rest in piece, little fella.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
Just checked this thread out and It seems you did everything you could to help the poor guy out. You did the best you could and I'm sure for a small moment your T was greatful for the help. Losing a T is always hard (At least IME). My condolences.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
rest in peace little bud
The picture of the grave got me. I started to tear up. The worst part of having animals as companions is having to say goodbye one day. I know a lot of people in the hobby get a little jaded, but they are living breathing animals that you love and care for and losing one hurts.

Last edited:

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Bad molts are soooo hard. I lost my first one about a month ago with a C. perezmilesi sling. She was only 1/4", and the old molt hardened on her abdomen, as well as losing 3 legs. There wasn't much for me to do. It was sad.

tarantellajen

Arachnopeon
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just read this because my OBT got stuck in her molt and I had to extract her about 10 minutes ago. I let it go too long before acting though, as her fangs are not aligned properly and the legs on the side that was stuck are deformed. Only 3 of her legs on one side are functional, so I'm pretty positive at this point she is doomed. :'( It's very sad to see something so helpless.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just read this because my OBT got stuck in her molt and I had to extract her about 10 minutes ago. I let it go too long before acting though, as her fangs are not aligned properly and the legs on the side that was stuck are deformed. Only 3 of her legs on one side are functional, so I'm pretty positive at this point she is doomed. :'( It's very sad to see something so helpless.
Don't give up hope. It couple straighten out in the next molt. how old is she? Adult?