Green Bottle Blue enclosure size and help me decide which species T to get

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
So I have 5 T's and a scorpion but they're all considered "beginner" species and I wanted to branch out because I've kept them for years now and I believe I have enough experience to try more exotic species.

The top 3 species I am interested in are:

Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum)
Goliath Bird Eating (Theraphosa stirmi)

I kind of want a curly hair because they're cute but they're also a beginner species, so that's another possibility

I heard the C. Cyan is semi-arboreal and somewhat smaller in size relative to the other ones (4-6in max allegedly). I currently keep my adult a. avic in an Exo Terra nano tall (8inx8inx12in) as recommended by you people on here and was wondering if that same enclosure would also be appropriate for the Green Bottle Blue.

If not, I have enclosures for the other two species, so which species do you recommend the most?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gbb is vonsiderd terrestrial, but sometimes it spinsa retreat up in the cage. My female did that
Get a Gbb. They are cool

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I heard the C. Cyan is semi-arboreal
They're not, they're heavy webbing terrestrials.

I currently keep my adult a. avic in an Exo Terra nano tall (8inx8inx12in) as recommended by you people on here and was wondering if that same enclosure would also be appropriate for the Green Bottle Blue.
No, they require more floor space than height. A large kritter keeper or equivalent would be more suitable.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love GBB. My first hooked. Bummer. This one is a female! Gorgeous she is. The care is easy and straight forward. Priscilla cannot compare!

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
From your list, I'm recommending the C. cyaneopubescens.

I would recommend getting more intermediate species like P. cancerides, P. platyomma, E. murinus, P. cambridgei, or N. Incei before getting a C. lividum (or whatever they are called nowadays) or T. stirmi.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I kind of want a curly hair because they're cute but they're also a beginner species
Out of curiosity, what is it about beginner species that turns you off?

Tliltocatl albopilosus (ex Brachypelma albopilosum) is a wonderful species; if you want it, don't let the "beginner species" designation dissuade you.

There are many other great species that can be overlooked by people who are in a hurry to get into "advanced" options.

The top 3 species I am interested in are:

Green Bottle Blue (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens)
Cobalt Blue (Haplopelma lividum)
Goliath Bird Eating (Theraphosa stirmi)
Of the ones on this list, the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens will be the easiest to keep. Theraphosa stirmi may also work, but it can be more of a balancing act to get the moisture levels right (whereas GBBs are kept dry, which is easy). Theraphosa also have some of the worst urticating hairs in the hobby (if you are sensitive to them).

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
They're not, they're heavy webbing terrestrials.
I’ve posted this picture in the past, but this guy didn’t get your message.

E54670E0-C49D-4451-B44D-D6763A95AF7A.jpeg

OP, GBBs tend to web up whatever you give them no matter how its set up. I have some in flat enclosures with anchor points. I have a couple in slightly smaller enclosures and I put a large slope in the substrate to maximize floor space. Just give it a moderate amount of floor space and anchor points and it’ll do what it wants to do.

Last edited:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Just because your spider is broken doesn't make it the norm. :rofl:

Mine is broken too. She has made her little web tunnel and now she's done. Definitely does not fit the "heavy webbing" part of that sentence. I bought her because I saw a video of these cool webs and said, "I want that!" lol Now I want an N. incei and I will continue to kick myself for not buying the decently priced female I saw at an expo. I was too focused on getting a C. versicolor that I overlooked her.

Uial

Arachnosquire
Mine has webbed the inside of her hide and nothing else. I gave her this huge enclosure because she was always exploring when she was in her 30X30 cm cube. Now look at this.

20191228_203451.jpg

Meanwhile, my N. Incei:

20191228_204529.jpg
Is there a spider in there? Nobody knows.

Also, don't be discouraged by the label of beginner species. I only have beginner species Ts. With the exception of one P. irminia (Which some people still call basic), honestly, it was rarely visible and so very unchill. I enjoy all my NW terrestrials way more. They are big and visible and chill. You can get all the cool ow's but they will be fast and demanding and some are rarely out if they are out they do the same thing as every other spider. It just sits there anyway. Don't buy a spider that you won't enjoy, but also test the waters a bit before you jump fully in. I do recommend both the C. cyan and the T. albo, though the albo is slower by miles and way more out (at least mine is)

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member

View attachment 329593

OP, GBBs tend to web up whatever you give them no matter how its set up. I have some in flat enclosures with anchor points. I have a couple in slightly smaller enclosures and I put a large slope in the substrate to maximize floor space. Just give it a moderate amount of floor space and anchor points and it’ll do what it wants to do.
Exceptions don't disprove the rule.

People always love posting exceptions...these exceptions do nothing but give new keepers reading the wrong impression....probably why we always see this semi arboreal label misused so often with am myriad of terrestrial species.

Ben Do

Arachnosquire
Out of curiosity, what is it about beginner species that turns you off?

Tliltocatl albopilosus (ex Brachypelma albopilosum) is a wonderful species; if you want it, don't let the "beginner species" designation dissuade you.

There are many other great species that can be overlooked by people who are in a hurry to get into "advanced" options.

Of the ones on this list, the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens will be the easiest to keep. Theraphosa stirmi may also work, but it can be more of a balancing act to get the moisture levels right (whereas GBBs are kept dry, which is easy). Theraphosa also have some of the worst urticating hairs in the hobby (if you are sensitive to them).
All T's I've gotten have been rescued from poor conditions at Petco stores and these days they only sell "beginner species." I wanted something a little more "exotic." I like the B. Albopilosum they're very pretty but I feel like if I'm going to go all in and purchase an animal from a breeder, I'd like to get something that I can't find at my local pet store.

Is a 10 gallon appropriate for a Theraphosa? That'll be a major dealbreaker. I have an enclosure for the GBB. Why don't you recommend the H. Lividum?

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Exceptions don't disprove the rule.

People always love posting exceptions...these exceptions do nothing but give new keepers reading the wrong impression....probably why we always see this semi arboreal label misused so often with am myriad of terrestrial species.
I’d say I gave a short but accurate description of the proper setup for C cyaneopubescens along with my picture. The information is right there. If a beginner can’t actually read and understand a basic post for the information thats actually in it then I can’t make them.

cold blood

Staff member
I’d say I gave a short but accurate description of the proper setup for C cyaneopubescens along with my picture. The information is right there. If a beginner can’t actually read and understand a basic post for the information thats actually in it then I can’t make them.
I wish that's how it always worked...lol.

But I didn't mean at all to look like I was singling you out....its something we see all the time...often when being asked by beginners, but not always and it can be a source of confusion or at least contradiction.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
All T's I've gotten have been rescued from poor conditions at Petco stores and these days they only sell "beginner species." I wanted something a little more "exotic." I like the B. Albopilosum they're very pretty but I feel like if I'm going to go all in and purchase an animal from a breeder, I'd like to get something that I can't find at my local pet store.
I look at it more like supporting responsible breeders and less about "what I can't get from a pet store." (For example, I have purchased Avicularia avicularia from cold blood even though they are often available at pet stores.)

That being said, if the goal is just to get something not commonly available in pet stores, there are many "exotic" options that are suitable to your current level of experience. Are there any particular qualities you are looking for?

If your ultimate goal is to keep the "hot" species, we can also recommend some intermediate options that are good "bridge" species (as well as fun to keep in their own right).

Is a 10 gallon appropriate for a Theraphosa?
It could work for a juvenile or adult with a lot of substrate. (To prevent fall injuries, you want to limit vertical space -- the distance between the top of the substrate to the lid -- to no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span.)

Why don't you recommend the H. Lividum?
My default position is not to recommend Old World species to new keepers or keepers who have only kept "beginner species." Cyriopagopus lividus (ex Haplopelma lividum) is considered a more advanced option, not even commonly recommended as a "starter Old World" to intermediate keepers.

You might be wondering why I have this policy. Some have accused those who discourage new keepers from getting advanced species of "gatekeeping." However, for me, it's not about elitism but about trying to offer good advice that is unlikely to result in a bad outcome for the keeper or the animal.

We all make beginner's errors when we are new, and it's best to make those errors with hardy species that are slower, less defensive, and less venomous. Starting with the beginner-friendly species allows you to master the basics of care (especially rehousing) and develop good habits with species that are more forgiving.

Some people insist that beginners will be fine with more advanced species as long as they do their research. Personally, I am not comfortable offering such blanket assurances to people I don't know. Because I really don't know for strangers on the Internet, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Additionally, I don't think that research is always a good substitute for firsthand experience. This is particularly true when it comes to rehousing a fast, defensive tarantula with potent venom. Watching someone rehouse a Cyriopagopus on YouTube and doing it yourself are two different things. If you've already rehoused other fossorial species, you'll have a better idea of how things can go wrong (and what to do about it).

Lastly, I don't know who else lives in your home (or regularly visits) -- people who might have to assist in caring for the tarantula, children who might open an enclosure while unsupervised, other pets that might be killed by the bite of an escaped OW tarantula.