green bottle blue care questions

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Today he grabbed a worm and took it in to his "house". I am wondering, should I clean what's left after he finishes eating?
I don't want to destroy his "house" and webbing, but the rest of the worm can start to rot.
GBB can put out more silk than a southeast Asian silk factory, don't worry about destroying their home.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its more of a personal thing. I always feel guilty destroying webs. Mine takes a while before it rewebs as well.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
My gbb sling is always hidden and runs if I go in my t closet. I wouldn't worry about the hiding however, I am curious about this feeding flap cut in the lid of the container you mentioned, you are securing this food flap right? If not I would suggest a piece of tape or something, the little guy might escape....

kevp

Arachnosquire
IMG-20140308-00714.jpg
i just realized i didn't say what i meant....once the T is grown do you guys think a 5 gallon kritter keeper is big enough for a gbb?
Ye a five to ten gallon would be ok for a grown on t. Mines about 4 inches in a 5 gallon exo terra.

kevp

Arachnosquire
Ha ha just seen this post is from 2003! Stil relevant tho. Lol.

Precious

Arachnopeon
Hello, I wanted to ask, how long should I wait before removing the old exoskeleton? Tarantula molted yesterday and it's old exoskeleton is in his "house", so if I want to take it away, I will be disturbing him.

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Hello, I wanted to ask, how long should I wait before removing the old exoskeleton? Tarantula molted yesterday and it's old exoskeleton is in his "house", so if I want to take it away, I will be disturbing him.
Try to ask the search button. He knows a lot and usually has a quick answer.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You don't ever have to remove it, but I would wait at least a week or two in order to ensure the new exoskeleton has time to harden.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am thinking of ordering one of the 1" gbbs from invertepets and i have a bunch of care questions before i actually make a final decision.

is care for a 1" T much different than an adult? how much should i feed it? does it need a water dish? will it web up the lid of a critter keeper? what kind of stuff should i put at the bottom of the keeper besides peatmoss, sticks or bark or what?

i have a larger kritter keeper, 6" by 12" at the bottom, and 8" tall, will that be big enough to keep an adult gbb?

any info would be much appriciated, most of the care guides i've read haven't been very specific
Partly because you don't tell us what experience and skill level you're at, and partly because of the questions you're asking I'm going to make a bold leap and assume that you're a newbie. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

I strongly urge you to go to the Spiders, Calgary webtree and start reading. At least scan through the entire website, picking out topics that catch your attention. (Even experienced aficionados can sometimes benefit from a little review.)

DO NOT FAIL TO READ STAN'S NEWBIE INTRODUCTION!

DO NOT FAIL TO READ THE FOUR BOOKS RECOMMENDED IN STAN'S RANT!

ESPECIALLY, READ GROWING YOUR OWN.

ESPECIALLY, READ TEMPERATURE.

ESPECIALLY, READ RELATIVE HUMIDITY.

The best news is that 90% of the questions you wanted to ask plus a lot, LOT more that you didn't think to ask are all laid out for you for ABSOLUTELY FREE if you read that website and take advantage of your friendly, neighborhood, public library! All you need do is read.

As babies, greenbottle blues are cared for just like every other species of tarantula. As adults they're cared for as an arid species. Strictly speaking, they are NOT arboreal. They dig and live in burrows in the ground in nature. They DO however, tend to build extensive webs and often rest in them in captivity, thus giving the impression that they're arboreal. At the very best one could say they're terrestrial with arboreal tendencies.

Feed them as any other tarantula. The exact amount and frequency depends on all sorts of factors including the tarantula's size, its average, ambient temperature, and what and how large the prey items are. All these topics are covered in the books referred to above.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

You need to learn to view the world from the perspective of a large, fuzzy spider.