green bottle blue care questions

Precious

Arachnopeon
Hello, I wanted to ask about humidity :). I have just bought 1 inch GBB. What humidity should I keep for a sling? I have read that for an adult tarantula you need to moisten the subtrate only once a week.. And how about slings? Now he stays only in the wet corner.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, I wanted to ask about humidity :). I have just bought 1 inch GBB. What humidity should I keep for a sling? I have read that for an adult tarantula you need to moisten the subtrate only once a week.. And how about slings? Now he stays only in the wet corner.
Have you searched the forum for your answer?

macbaffo

Arachnolord
Slings need slightly higher humidity than adults. If he stays in the wet side try widening a little the wet area or put a bottle cap with water.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
When it grows a 5 gallon might be suitable. But for now you should take the advice stated above. My 1 inch gbb is kept in a tiny deli cup you might get sauce in from a resturaunt. When fully grown 5 to 10 gallon tank will be perfect. But you got a good few years to worry about that.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When it grows a 5 gallon might be suitable. But for now you should take the advice stated above. My 1 inch gbb is kept in a tiny deli cup you might get sauce in from a resturaunt. When fully grown 5 to 10 gallon tank will be perfect. But you got a good few years to worry about that.
You're responding to the OP about enclosures, which was posted in 2003. The current questions are in regards to feeding a new sling and humidity.

Precious

Arachnopeon
Hello, I am very worried and I wanted to ask for some advice..
I bought my green bottle tarantula 2 weeks ago. Tarantula size is L3-4. On the very first day he webbed his hiding place and since then I haven't seen him outside his "house". I now that change of new home can cause a lot of stress, so I wasn't bothering him. Now I am a bit worried because time passes and he never been "outside", he didn't eat anything and as I read, they are very active tarantulas.. I can see that he is alive, but why he hides?
I am posting some pictures, maybe I am doing something wrong?
I use heating mat for the temperature and every few days I wet the substrate (one corner of tarantulas terrarium).

Attachments

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't use a heating mat that could be part of the problem. Also these guys like their substrate bone dry so you should stop wetting it.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

mattman

Arachnosquire
Correct me if I'm wrong aren't gbbs a mix between terrestrial and arborials

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Correct me if I'm wrong aren't gbbs a mix between terrestrial and arborials
They can be both but tend to be mostly terrestrial. Mine started out rather arboreal as a sling and is now exclusively terrestrial.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, the heating mat is turned only for 4-5 hours per day..
Doesn't matter it still isn't needed. Use a space heater if you're concerned about temp.

Precious

Arachnopeon
So, I will turn off the heating mat. Maybe he behaves like that because he is going to molt?
I am very worried, because I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have read many articles and I think that conditions are quite good. :(

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It could be, especially if its refusing food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is that a paper plate??? If so remove it and use a hide that is made of cork bark or is inert.

Precious

Arachnopeon
Today he grabbed a worm and took it in to his "house". I am wondering, should I clean what's left after he finishes eating?
I don't want to destroy his "house" and webbing, but the rest of the worm can start to rot.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Today he grabbed a worm and took it in to his "house". I am wondering, should I clean what's left after he finishes eating?
I don't want to destroy his "house" and webbing, but the rest of the worm can start to rot.
It wont rot. I personally don't bother cleaning bolus out of mines enclosure. Its not worth messing up the webbing everytime just to do that.