Green banana (Panchlora nivea) and porcelain roach (Gyna lurida) Tank Setups?

scaledverts

Arachnopeon
Hello -

I have a question regarding the tank set ups for green banana (Panchlora nivea) and porcelain roach (Gyna lurida) species. From what I can find online they both need some form of substrate (coco bark is typically recommended) and things to hide under (small cork bark or egg crates). What I cannot seem to find is any information about how to keep them from escaping the tanks. :?

I have hissing cockroaches and have zero trouble with them as long as I have a Vaseline barrier and a fine mesh top. I should also point out that I will be using 10 gal aquaria as tanks for these roaches. As I said, there is a fair amount of information about their cage set-ups online but not much in terms of escape "proofing" their enclosure. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Hi Kyle, I can't say much on the other species, but P. nivea does fine in coco fiber. It shouldn't be allowed to dry out completely. They do great as long as there is some access to moisture, be it in the soil, food items or water crystals. I use a mesh that is smaller then the smallest nymph, cut to fit the lid of my tank. You can even secure it with tape or aquarium sealant.

scaledverts

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info!

Do you secure the mesh to a screen top or do you use some other apparatus to keep it on top? I use a fine mesh attached to a 10 gal screen top for my hissers and it works quite well (along with the vaseline) at keeping them in.

Thanks again

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Slider screen top or the other kind? If slider, just secure the mesh to the screen portion. If it's the other kind you'll have free roamers all over your walls in no time. Mine are in a medium KK w/ mesh attached directly to inside of lid.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G.lurida only climb as adults,i have a large colony and have no problems with just a screen lid.these roaches are the easiest roaches i have ever kept and will thrive even when neglected.
just watch when opening lid as adults will readily fly...lol
andy