Greaterblack Xenesthis

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
If X. immanis is the Columbian Lesserblack, there should be a greaterblack right?

Not sure how big that species would be considering that that immanis is already large enough

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This is one of the reasons why I hate common names. Might as well stick to scientific names as anyone can label any tarantula as anything nowadays.

Common names happen because anyone or someone made a name and it just stick over the scientific name. What I mean is that you, me, bob, or joe can make any common name up and if it sticks then it becomes a common name. So what I'm getting at is that "Columbian Lesserblack" was made up by someone randomly and it doesn't always have to apply to them specifically. So from this, you can literally make any Xenesthis species the "Greaterblack" if you can make the common name stick to it in the tarantula hobby. This is why almost hundreds of tarantulas are stuck with the "strip knee" common name. So don't rely on scientific names. Hopefully this helps.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
No. There is no greaterblack!😅

Fun Fact: The X.immanis frequently displays a mutually beneficial relationship with the microhylid frog Chiasmocleis ventriculata (sp?) The relationship described is one where the spider may protect the frog and its eggs from predators while the frog protects the spider's eggs from ants.

Edit: Typo. Mutually*

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Fun Fact: The X.immanis frequently displays a mutually beneficial relationship with the microhylid frog Chiasmocleis ventriculata (sp?) The relationship described is one where the spider may protect the frog and its eggs from predators while the frog protects the spider's eggs from ants.

Edit: Typo. Mutually*
The spider in the article was misidentified, it was actually a Pamphobeteus sp. A correction was made on a side note, if I remember correctly.

There other tarantuala species that make interaction with amphibians, I need to check my files but I believe even Pokies and an Aphonopelma do it.

The frogs specific epithet is C. ventrimaculata. :)

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
The spider in the article was misidentified, it was actually a Pamphobeteus sp. A correction was made on a side note, if I remember correctly.

There other tarantuala species that make interaction with amphibians, I need to check my files but I believe even Pokies and an Aphonopelma do it.

The frogs specific epithet is C. ventrimaculata. :)

Pamphos and Xenesthis classifications are a mess. It is very debateable on which species it truly is

It is not one article. Theres hundreds.

(Sp?) Means not sure of spelling as im not a frog guy and was going off my brain :)

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Pamphos and Xenesthis classifications are a mess. It is very debateable on which species it truly is

It is not one article. Theres hundreds.

(Sp?) Means not sure of spelling as im not a frog guy and was going off my brain :)
Actually, Xenesthis can be distinguish from Pamphobeteus by their scopulae, tmk. What is a mess it each genera isolated.

I'll try to find something more accurate and send you in here, the link you sent is from 2017.
@AphonopelmaTX I saw you commented there, are you aware of this misid?

About the frog, you were in doubt, I just point you the right way to spell.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel

This is a good article. It explains thst the original 1989 observation may or may not be x.immanis, may or may not be a pampho.

Later on it does recognize that x. Immanis does have a very close relationship with 2 other frogs very similar to the pokies in Sri Lanka.

Honestly, no one knows much for certain.

I do know the difference between pamphos and xenesthis. I just meant that both those genus' amongst themselves are complete messes. They are clearly distinct.

Thank you for the frog spelling.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince

This is a good article. It explains thst the original 1989 observation may or may not be x.immanis, may or may not be a pampho.

Later on it does recognize that x. Immanis does have a very close relationship with 2 other frogs very similar to the pokies in Sri Lanka.

Honestly, no one knows much for certain.
Take a look at this link, and download this article from 2019.

Then, scroll down til you find comensalism between Spiders and Frogs.

There's an official correction there, and I just learned that even the frog species was wrong.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Good read. In the article I sent you, they correct it as well but the same people who published the Poecilotheria and the frogs article wrote about what these authors mentioned: Karunarathna & Amarasinghe also cite a very obscure published report by G. Miller from 2003 where a South American microhylid (this time the Bolivian bleating frog Hamptophryne boliviana) was observed in close association with the theraphosid Xenesthis immanis. Unlike Kaloula and Ramanella (which are both microhyline microhylid), Hamptophryne is a gastrophrynine, as is Chiasmocleis.

So in the end X. immanis does have a relationship with frogs. Just different ones!

Either way, it is absolutley fascinating...can we finally agree on that?! It would be a start! Hahaha 😄

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Good read. In the article I sent you, they correct it as well but the same people who published the Poecilotheria and the frogs article wrote about what these authors mentioned: Karunarathna & Amarasinghe also cite a very obscure published report by G. Miller from 2003 where a South American microhylid (this time the Bolivian bleating frog Hamptophryne boliviana) was observed in close association with the theraphosid Xenesthis immanis. Unlike Kaloula and Ramanella (which are both microhyline microhylid), Hamptophryne is a gastrophrynine, as is Chiasmocleis.

So in the end X. immanis does have a relationship with frogs. Just different ones!

Either way, it is absolutley fascinating...can we finally agree on that?! It would be a start! Hahaha 😄

Haha, sure thing.

I just made a thread about that, feel free to share the link of the immanis and H. boliviana there. :)

Nathan Zhang

Arachnopeon
sooo there's no greater black tarantula right? Not sure which black tarantulas get larger than immanis in colombia anyway although P nigricolor may get close to xenesthis size. Still weird that they called the immanis the lesserblack, why not just the colombian black tarantula then?

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
sooo there's no greater black tarantula right? Not sure which black tarantulas get larger than immanis in colombia anyway although P nigricolor may get close to xenesthis size. Still weird that they called the immanis the lesserblack, why not just the colombian black tarantula then?
Maybe, they are lesser black compared to other tarantulas. In that case, the other Ts would be greater black. 🤣

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Maybe, they are lesser black compared to other tarantulas. In that case, the other Ts would be greater black. 🤣
They have gorgeous colors too! Including pink! They are far from completely black!

Idk...i didn't name it that lol!

Last edited:

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If X. immanis is the Columbian Lesserblack, there should be a greaterblack right?
It's the Xenesthis monstrosa, but the common name is not "greaterblack" just Colombian black.
This species is probably not in the hobby, though some claim Xenesthis sp. tenebris is actually X. monstrosa.