Great Stuff spray foam, safe under heat i.e deep heat projector and UVB lamp?

Braden

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone! I am in the process of doing a mini renovation for my leopard gecko with some fancy, new, RESEARCHED products ;)

I really want to make a background out of great stuff spray foam, but I'm unsure of how it does under heat and UVB and all that, I was hoping to hear from others with experience.

I know @Frogdaddy uses it for his dart frog vivarium but I don't know much about frogs lol

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers! Screenshot 2021-07-18 2.13.01 PM.png Screenshot 2021-07-18 2.12.41 PM.png

Pics included(of can)

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
The green can is formulated for outdoor pond use so I would think it would stand up to UV better.

I made a background with the red can for bearded dragons before. No issues with heat or UV lighting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
call the manufacturer- they should know.

Crazy ideas just keep coming!

Braden

Arachnoknight
The green can is formulated for outdoor pond use so I would think it would stand up to UV better.

I made a background with the red can for bearded dragons before. No issues with heat or UV lighting.
well if the red can can stand up to bearded dragon heat and UV requirements then I'm sure a leopard gecko would be totally fine lol

Braden

Arachnoknight

Hey. I went on the website and found a document regarding safe use. I took a screenshot, read paragraphs 6 through 9.
Screenshot_20210718-202411.jpg

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Hey. I went on the website and found a document regarding safe use. I took a screenshot, read paragraphs 6 through 9.
View attachment 392103
That's good info to have, I still don't see any problems with heat. I kept my basking spot for the beardies at 110F. I'm sure it was hotter closer to the bulb. Like I said I never had any issues.
I wish I could find a photo of that enclosure. I used a gallon milk jug and foamed that to make a cave and foam on the background with ledges to climb and bask on.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
If you are afraid of heat or UV, cover it with ultra fine grade joint mortar. It will act like a barrier and it will make it indestructible too.

I wouldn't be too much worried with the temperatures and UV radiation that an enclosure can achieve to be honest 🤣🤣🤣

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you want the low down on the foam properties look up cyaneuric foam on the web. Lots of info.

Braden

Arachnoknight
Hey, I was thinking of using the zoo med excavator clay powder for the background instead of coco fiber. I think it would look cool, anybody ever tried this before?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I didn't like it, too much sand imo.

Why not to get a bag of topsoil and clay? Mixing it and after letting it dry you will get much better results and with a more real look.

Last edited:

Braden

Arachnoknight
And a lot cheaper 😉
I like the Idea and I will prob use it in the future. But for my guy, I'm going for an arid, scrubland theme with relatively brown and rocky gray with some air plants and slate. That's why I wanted to use the clay. I suppose I could mix it with gravel and put slate in the back ground.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I like the Idea and I will prob use it in the future. But for my guy, I'm going for an arid, scrubland theme with relatively brown and rocky gray with some air plants and slate. That's why I wanted to use the clay. I suppose I could mix it with gravel and put slate in the back ground.
Eehm in that case use mix of topsoil and clay (grey clay) 😂😂😂

I'm still thinking that's a better option than the excavator clay. Will suit your color scheme better imo. Excabator will give you a very light brown/reddish look. Also you can make different samples, to see how they look before choosing the one that suits you better.

If you are still interested in excavator clay is pretty easy to use. Pour some water, and massage it until the clay starts to bond the things together, apply it in the background, but put it horizontally, it will hold the shape better while it dries.