Great news!!!!!!!!

erik

Arachnopeon
ok so i found a female p regius a few weeks ago and she just laid an egg sack on the 30 of act just two days ago just wanted to share and maybey ask for any helpful tips for raising these little ones

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lucky &@$!?#%. Don't know about eggsacs, but check the breeding reports and buy The Tarantula Keepers Guide. Must have book and has a nice breeding section which will help anyone out. I hope my next female lays a sac.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Someone's going to be buying a lot of pinheads or FFFs.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi! I breed and raise P. regius, and yes... be prepared to one day soon find a LOT of li'l babies! {D

Congrats on your find, and again for the eggsac! :clap:

I always let Mom take care of the babies until after the "cannibal stage". Mom will share food with them until they begin to show an interest in catching their own. The way I do this is: a week after you see the babies start to explore, drop a few D. hydei in and watch the babies. If you see one try to catch a FF, they are ready to start feeding on their own.

I have one sac that I am raising myself. It was a very small sac, but a good one-about 20 slings, and all are bigger than the slings from other sacs. :clap:

When you mist, be sure that the babies don't get 'caught' in a water drop. I've had to rescue a few, LOL. They won't drink from a watercap; I put one in purely for humidity.

All of my slings are released when old enough, but the sac I am raising... I will keep maybe 6.

I have 6 females, 2 of which are sub-adults, & 2 MMs. Only 1 female (sub-adult) will allow herself to be handled. Both the MMs can be handled, and the oldest is such a camera ham!

Post some pics of your pretty girl if you can! I love these spiders, and also I love to see all the color morphs! :) Here's a link to see one of my girls.

http://imgboot.com/gallery/Silberruecken/MY-NEW-P-REGIUS-1/

Keep us updated, and please ask any questions you think of! I will sort thru my pics and post a link here later for you to see. :):):) S.

erik

Arachnopeon
man i wish my camera wasnt broken she is doin good she at the cricket i fed her today and added a bunch more web to the nest her sac is huge it almost bigger than her ill try to get some with my phone if i can get a good one thanks for all the info

erik

Arachnopeon
i did get lucky finding her though i work at a auto detail place and i was about 2 sec away from spraying the door jam with the pressure washer and i saw a little fuzzy orange and black spotted ball she was soaking wet and barely mooving i put her in a emoty first aid pouch and hope she lived and when i checked on her at the end of the day she was dry and upside down on the lid when i opened it she is so pretty

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Yes, they are very pretty! These and Plexippus paykulli are my favorite spiders. Sadly, I lost one of my females earlier today-one of the sub-adults. :mad: I think she was parastized by something before she was brought to me (wild-caught)

Please, let's keep this thread up-to-date, as there are very few here who keep P. regius. I myself would be very interested in your pretty girl's progress.

If TheTyro and ErikWestblom see this post, maybe they can offer some tips and advice also. :)

I am still working on my pic albums, and will update soon with a link to them.

S.

erik

Arachnopeon
cool it worked that was a pic from my phone about two weeks ago

erik

Arachnopeon
here is another old pic and some i took today with her nest and sac img0457.jpg

img0838.jpg

img0916.jpg

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Awwwww, she's very pretty and SOOOOOO fat!!!!! LOL!

She will have a large brood of about 100 babies.... are ya READY???? {D

Oh, and another tip: If she doesn't come out of her "nursery" to eat or drink, you might have to make her come out. I don't know about the others here, but I make sure they eat at least a medium-sized cricket or a big fly once a week.

All my females are VERY protective of their sacs, so be careful 'cause they WILL bite you! (Their threats are enough to make me be very cautious) A good way to know if she is serious about her threats is if she also 'slaps' very quick at you with her front legs. :eek:

S.

erik

Arachnopeon
she is doin good i dropped a cricket in there this morning and she was eating it when i came home for lunch then she thickened the nest up a little you used to be able to see her through it

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
LOL! I hope not! She sure looked ready to pop! {D

Where she is thickening the web is the Nursery. It's really 2 sacs in 1. The babies will hatch out of the yellow, and will stay in the webbing that covers this. When they are old enough, they will migrate into the Nursery. here they will molt, hmmm... I think mine molted 2 or 3 times. At this time they will start to venture out to explore.

Is this the first regius you have kept?

S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
@ 8by8: Do you have pics of yours?

I am extremely interested in the color morphs of P. regius.

My ultimate goal is to someday find a Phidippus otiosus. I think they are just as gorgeous as the regius! :)

S.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any links or info on care lifespans of these guys? Seem very interesting.

erik

Arachnopeon
so we have babies the pic sux but u can see that they are spread out pretty much look like eggs with legs

Attachments

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
That's great, erik!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Congrats on your new brood! And from the looks of it, you have a "full house"... {D

Since our last posts, I have released 2 sacs, and soon I will have 100's of these around my house. :D

I have only 1 sac left, and the Mom is currently sitting on them. She ate the Dad.... :mad::mad::mad: He was such a great Dad, too. I will surely miss that one, cause he was very interactive with me. Never tried to escape, and loved to sit on my hands. **sniff, sniff**

If you have any questions, please ask and I will help you as much as I can! I can't wait til you get to see the slings hanging out in their 'nursery!!!! :D

S.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
please don't release anything into nature. once you catch something and have other pets of similar nature and/or feed what you caught with non-WC food the potential for disease transmission is too great to allow anything back into nature

this is the well accepted general rule in every other well established bio hobby :)

i have done a couple hundred hours of research into it and i can almost guarantee every bug in collection is infected with something. most of the time they are not all that deleterious of organisms... but if the wrong thing makes it into our native animals (which are not *it's* native animals) then potentially very bad things could happen

edit: hobby culture crickets are NOTORIOUS vectors of grain mites and possibly other things

Last edited: