Great...mites. Not only that, eggs in poo. You know you're curious

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sure it is unlike them. I get in a cynical state of mind sometimes and go overboard. Well since I mailed it back yesterday, I should get some kind of response from them. Either, "look, they're right there dummy." or "Sorry, here's a new batch."

doom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eggs in poo

Is this what we are talking about?

doom

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mites

Here are mites on my scolopendra. I'm waiting for a package of Hypoaspis miles from Germany.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey yea, the white stuff in the poo. That's what I'm getting too. Well not me, my pedes:) . Good cam shot of the mites. PLEASE post of pic of the Hyposaspis mites when you get them. PLEEEASE. Looks like you have a good cam for that. I got an email back about my mite order. I sent the container of sub back to them. They checked it out and said they see "signs" of the mites but not very many. I thought that was kind of a weird word to use but that's just my cynical mind. They kind of assumed they died while I had them. Anyway, I believe in the co cuz they sent me $29 back even though they stated no refunds in their policy so everything is cool. Cool doom. I'm looking forward to your mite order too! Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey yea, the white stuff in the poo. That's what I'm getting too. Well not me, my pedes:) . Good cam shot of the mites. PLEASE post of pic of the Hyposaspis mites when you get them. PLEEEASE. Looks like you have a good cam for that. I got an email back about my mite order. I sent the container of sub back to them. They checked it out and said they see "signs" of the mites but not very many. I thought that was kind of a weird word to use but that's just my cynical mind. They kind of assumed they died while I had them. Anyway, I believe in the co cuz they sent me $29 back even though they stated no refunds in their policy so everything is cool. Cool doom. I'm looking forward to your mite order too! Keep us posted.
Gala...are you going to have those mites for sale anytime soon? Or do you think you could get up to that level.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The co service has been very good from where I tried to buy the mites from so I feel a little bad about being so frustrated. They gave me a refund and replied to the email I sent them. I sent them a pic of the cricket in this thread with reddish mites on it. Here's what they said, "....the mites pictured do look like Hypoaspis mites." That's good enough for me. I have confidence in the co now and I think anybody should. I think the mites I ordered got in a rare situation and got way too hot and fried. But, I don't really know. From what I've seen, just a spoon full is enough to get a bunch going strong. I can keep them going with small, pre killed crickets but these Hypoaspis seem to thrive much more if they live in a pede habitat, ....live around the pede. Maybe they thrive off the pede's scraps....(?). I think I'm finally seeing an end to this problem. ..oh no, now what am I going to do:) ?

demode

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
good way is to use dry ice and gas the whole terrarium/enclosure. ofcourse theres still the problem with the mites on the pedes

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How about, be happy?
Yes, that IS someing to do! I need to do that more! Say demode, I think these mites are like ticks on the pede and that's mostly were they are going to be I think. (I found a Desert Kingsnake last night that's been out for a few weeks:) ).

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Update...the zoo where I'm doing my internship at is going to let me borrow a high powered microscope with a camera. Hopefully I can get some good pics of Gala's mites and maybe even photograph some H. miles for a comparison.

I happen to live in Iowa, which is chock full of some of the best AG colleges in the country...one of which is a 20 minute drive from where I'm sitting now. I should be able to get Gala's mites positively ID'd as well as study some other pede parasites...

...more info coming soon :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow doom, you have a good camera for close-ups. I'm no mite expert but that'd be my guess too after looking at other pics...Hypos!

I know I'M looking forward to you getting an ID for those, EC. I will be very surprised if they are not. Hope the IDing process works out for you. I started getting a larger, slower moving mite in a container of moist coco fiber. They eat the leftovers...bug parts, and get all over the place. I've read about other people getting them. I had them in another container but they are gone. There are many small insects in that container that look a little like miniature earwigs. I put some in with the fat white mites. They eat them. I watched them carry some around. Here's a pic. I count 4 in the pic. My camera is not great for things this small. They are about 2 mm long.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Small, black mite predator update..... All the fat white mites are already gone:eek: . I thought if it worked, it might take a week or so. It just took... I don't know, maybe 5 hours or so. There were 100's of mites. They would cover a dead cricket, walk on top of the soil and climb up the sides of the plastic 1 gal container. I see none of the now. There were many of the ones that look like the Hypos too. But they also seem to be gone. That's not good. I saw one Hypo looking mite left. Those black things are prowling in and out of the soil looking for more. I should have taken pics because it sounds a little unbelievable. I should have sat and watched what was going on. but I just didn't think much was going to happen. Well, you keep digging and eventually stuff happens:) . Don't know where all of this is going but ...it's going somewhere. I know how to get rid of the white uglies anyway....AND FAST!