Great...I have a new pet hole

Dr.Cyclops

Arachnopeon
Hey Arachnophiles....I wanted to ask folks what they think of providing their tarantulas with a hiding place. I'm pretty new to this hobby, and my problem is that I have a relatively new B. vagans, and she NEVER comes out of her hide unless it's to eat, which takes about 30 seconds. So my question is, how critical is it for a tarantula's emotional/spiritual well-being to have hiding place. The Tarantula Keepers Guide seems to say that it's not essential, but I'm wondering what peoples' experience is on this issue.

Thanks...

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would think as a prey animal a tarantula would at the very least appreciate a retreat. whether this retreat is a burrow or something to hide under is probably not important for non-obligate burrowers. I'm not saying your spider will be stressed without a hide of some sort, but I have worked with quite a few prey animals over the years and I've always provided them with a nice cozy retreat of some sort. if it's really that important for you to see a spider all the time you'd probably be better off investing in a couple more. just my 2 cents.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think the only time a hide isn't essential is when dealing with arboreals, a burrower, or Ts like P. Murinis. I only say that because both generally make their own retreats.

You just need more Ts for more chances to see them ;)

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would think as a prey animal a tarantula would at the very least appreciate a retreat. whether this retreat is a burrow or something to hide under is probably not important for non-obligate burrowers. I'm not saying your spider will be stressed without a hide of some sort, but I have worked with quite a few prey animals over the years and I've always provided them with a nice cozy retreat of some sort. if it's really that important for you to see a spider all the time you'd probably be better off investing in a couple more. just my 2 cents.
Yep you need a handful of T's do not worry they will come LOL!!
My wife said a year ago I can have "one" T Now its only one room of T's LOL!!

They will come! Good luck!!:) And welcome to the hobby;)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
vagans

Doc Cy, Hello, and welcome to the hobby. B vagans is a neat spider although I've yet to raise one myself. Ime tarantulas, as pretty much any other organism kept in captivity, seem to show individual preferences overall. However, their behavior can also change between instars from bold to skittish and vice-versa so I'd think it best to provide a hiding place for all of them.

Stan Schultz has probably been in the hobby longer than 99% of the folks on this board. I skimmed through his first edition YEARS ago. Seeing that there have been 2 newer editions, that he no doubt included input from other successful keepers over the years, that would imo be the way to go. It goes without saying that you're going to find alot of useful information here on AB, especially via the search function.

As already suggested, you might also consider getting another species that tends to stay out in the open. Two sp that currently come to mind are Acanthoscurria geniculata and Grammostola pulchra. Two others in my collection that display well also are B. emelia and N tripepii. Here again, we're talking a single or few indivs of the above spp that I've had experience with. Good luck :)

Terry

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a few pet holes as well. I never see my male B.albopilosum. My female b.albopilosum makes no attempt at burrowing whatsoever and stays in the open constantly however.

My B vagans is about an inch and it never burrows. It just bulldozes.{D

It gets pretty boring if thats the only tarantulas you have. Maybe you could rig up an enclosure with man made tunnels that run along the glass walls. That way you can see your tarantula when its under the substrate.

Dr.Cyclops

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the feedback! There seems to be a pretty strong consensus that giving spiders access to their own little haven is a bit more important than my own voyeuristic needs. It seems like the thing to do is to shop around for a more extroverted T, and give my vagans ample time to brood, if that's what she needs.

Thanks again folks.

Dr. C.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If it wants to burrow let it burruw. Try to keep the enclosure as natural as possible.

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
You could try to find a clear hide for it. Like a glass or plastic jar. Not very natural looking, but you'd be able to see it and it would satisfy your spider's need.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
You could try to find a clear hide for it. Like a glass or plastic jar. Not very natural looking, but you'd be able to see it and it would satisfy your spider's need.
A glass jar for a hide isnt the best idea. If you ever need to get your T out it will be very hard. I remember a story of a T that tried to molt in a glass jar hide that was too small and died. Try creating a hide that allows the T to burrow further if it wants to. Dont limit it to a cell. Give it the opportunity to build a network of hides.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't think that's a very good idea. A tarantula can tell that it's not truly hiding inside of a clear container. It will know that it's still out in the open, so to speak.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
i usally always make sure my Ts have at least something for them to scurry under so if there something going on out side there cage they dont like they have some where to "go" per say also maybe invest in a hide that they can hide in but still easy to take a quick glance hope i helped

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I wouldn't think that's a very good idea. A tarantula can tell that it's not truly hiding inside of a clear container. It will know that it's still out in the open, so to speak.
Take a piece of black construction paper and cover the hide from the outside of the glass. Thats how i watched my P. murinus lay her sac!! :D

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
My little boehmei doesn't seem to care that it's hide is clear. I think it feels the hide more than sees it. I know it's not anywhere close to the same thing, but people give fish clear tubes to hide in. The fish can see it's not a solid color, but it's the sensation of being surrounded that provides comfort.
And obviously you wouldn't give it one that's too small for it. I could be wrong, but I don't think it makes a difference what it's made out of. Too small is too small and poses the same dangers whether it's made of plastic, glass, wood or whatever. I usually bury it a bit so the T has room to dig in it and make itself at home.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My little boehmei doesn't seem to care that it's hide is clear. I think it feels the hide more than sees it. I know it's not anywhere close to the same thing, but people give fish clear tubes to hide in. The fish can see it's not a solid color, but it's the sensation of being surrounded that provides comfort.
And obviously you wouldn't give it one that's too small for it. I could be wrong, but I don't think it makes a difference what it's made out of. Too small is too small and poses the same dangers whether it's made of plastic, glass, wood or whatever. I usually bury it a bit so the T has room to dig in it and make itself at home.
haha i remember having to do that back when i kept knife fish. i don't totally remember the whole clear thing, except that i think they used a type of "radar" with that electric pulse they create rather than rely sight. pretty sure i read they have really poor sight, actually back in the day when i did my info. beautiful fish, but i had a hard time keeping them.

errr... anyway, ime, my bohemei is a horrible example to use, since he likes to hide on top of his hide. thats right, the little guy loves to lord over everything, he's generally unphased by pretty much everything.

as salamander said, i'd perhaps try to help construct a burrow for it to continue, up against the glass. we did that with our rosea, and were actually able to maneuver her over so we see her when she chills at the bottom. you'll be able to see and your T will hopefully go on unphased, this is my suggestion as well.

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
B.vagans was my 1st choice to. When I got her she was a sling. and burrowed the 1st week i had her, didnt even see her for about 6 months everytime i put a cricket in ther it went down her lill trap door and never cam out. Now shes a little over a year, lives in a 18x18x18 exotera with a hollow log and has about 12 hours worth of burrow work thru the log. I almost broke a sweat watching him work. she does come out and chill alot but the slightest vibration sends her back down. she closes up her only entrence when she moults for about 2 months. the first time she did that is when i decided to get another Tarantula. Yes that idea worked very well. Now I have 4 and am currently looking for another 1 rite now.

Now I have a B.Smithi wich i handle about once a week with no problems, and last time i got her out I think she didnt want to go back in, she kept trying to go up my arm. My A.versicolor stays in her 10 gallon with flowers and has alot of web work done, havent got a chance to handle her yet ( dont know how to get her out of her web ), and my newest guy is a L.parahybana wich i held last night. hes no bigger then my thumbnail tho. anyway my advice to you would be to GET MORE Tarantulas. Try a Smithi I havent heard anything bad about 1 yet.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a wee B.vagans and even though he decided to live in a hole I still loved him (in only the way one can actually love a tarantula etc) I thought it was cute :)

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
OMG u are so rite a year ago I never would have thaught I would even say cute and Tarantula in the same sentence. I still love him Chaka is his name, but hes not my fav. My Smithi is she just took her 1st mouse about an hour ago im in the process of makin a thread aboot it. GET MORE TARANTULAS.