great craigslist find - chinchilla

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i had a few about 16 years ago and wanted to get another one one day. well i found one on craigslist...why go to a pet shop if i can pick up a pet that somebody else decides they can't have/want anymore.
i don't mind 2nd hand/used/pre-owned/rescue pets. my guinea pigs were from craigslist and they are cute as can be.
and this chinchilla boy...he will "bark" and watch if my kids or my daughter's boyfriend walk by. otherwise he is calm and i even held him for a little bit, but i'll hide him in my room so my boy won't sneak up in the night or 5 am to try to pet him. the previous owner gave me a ball for him to run in and my son wanted him in it. told him to let him get used to us first.
now i have to google chinchillas to refresh what i have forgotten over the years, darn why did i get rid of my book on them:wall:

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Great find:) I've read quite a bit on chinchillas because I thought I'd might get one or two someday. I read that they will die if it gets over 80 degrees, as they overheat quite readily. I'm not ready for that kind of worrying;) I hope you enjoy your new companion:)

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to have one as a class pet! Whenever we got in a circle to hold it, it would jump around and escape alot! It died though...

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes, they don't like the heat, don't keep them in the direct sun or in a drafty area..sounds like some other pets i had.
but they are fun. i won't let my boy hold the chinchilla tho, he can pet but not hold. they are a bit more delicate than a guinea pig.
but i just had to have one again (since those kids of mine took over the guinea pigs).
as soon as he is more used to us i'll get some pic's of him.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it Silver ?

I like the Tan colored ones :p Except @ night - when they keep ya up - Jason

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Nice find :)

I had a chinchilla for years. He was a great little pet, the only problem I had, was that my lab never got used to him. He thought Simon (the chinchilla) looked like a tasty treat. The lab was well socialized and well mannered with every other pet we had, and I never understood what made Simon so much more appealing then our rabbit, or hamster, or cat. I ended up giving Simon to friends who used to have chinchilla's but got out of them when they had their kids. He went to a great home, where he wasn't at risk for becoming a snack to a dog everytime I had him out. Not that he was ever out unsupervised or around the dog, but it was still a small risk that made me uncomfortable.

Now that my old lab has gone to doggy heaven, I would love to get another one. They are such fun little animals to have :)

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes they are fun. i don't remember the ones i had way back to be so vocal tho.
this one will "bark" at times or start making "squeaky toy" sounds which crack my kids up. he did get a raisin yesterday and 2 sunflower seeds today as a treat. oh and my kids have to sit and watch his bath time :D.