Gravid scorp care?

Kildrae

Arachnopeon
Well I'm back to searching for a scorpion. Only one (Emperor) I've been able to find in my area is gravid. I can't really afford to pay shipping for a $20 pet right now.

My question is what's involved with caring for baby scorpions? I understand that mom cares for them completely for the first couple weeks (their first molt) but what comes after that? How big should the tank be for the mom and babies? Do I remove them from her after she stops caring for them? Do I sex and sort? How old until they're ready to go to new homes?

For some reason I can find a whole bunch of information until they're molted and after that nothing. Thanks!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it's gravid leave it alone. I can't stress how important it is.

The babies can be removed from the mother when they leave her on their own. AT that point you can keep them like smaller adults.

Kildrae

Arachnopeon
I'm not too big on handling them anyway. Obviously I will if I "have to" but other than that I'm cool with just looking.

Ok, that sounds do-able. I'd have to get a bigger tank then. How many can be housed together at a time? How old do they have to be to be sexed/separated?

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not too big on handling them anyway. Obviously I will if I "have to" but other than that I'm cool with just looking.

Ok, that sounds do-able. I'd have to get a bigger tank then. How many can be housed together at a time? How old do they have to be to be sexed/separated?
See: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/03/20/pandinus-imperator-terrarium.html

The juveniles are still in it (mom passed away in 2009). So they are still together. Over a year ago I counted the juveniles (I didn't see any, checked the substrate) and I had 19 (!). Some died, I see now most of the time 5, sometimes 6 outside of the burrows. I guess I have about 12, and they are nearly 3 years old.

Note that I keep them at lower temperatures (23C currently) than most here, so they grow much slower. (edit: see: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1842558&postcount=3 )