Gravid Hottentotta Hottentotta "Stilting"

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone, my gravid hottentotta hottentotta has been spending alot of time in her hiding spot. Today I caught her out standing there "stilting". She is completely flat but has her whole body elevated off the ground probably has far as her legs can get. Some posts say this is mostly because she is too hot, cold, or dry while others say because she is gravid it could mean she is ready to give birth. Her heat lamp is a 25 watt red bulb which had not been on for a good hour or so when I observed the behavior. Just curious if stilting is only related to temperature issues or if gravid scorpions stilt as well. If I catch her doing it again I will try to get a picture but I didnt get one this time :/

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hi everyone, my gravid hottentotta hottentotta has been spending alot of time in her hiding spot. Today I caught her out standing there "stilting". She is completely flat but has her whole body elevated off the ground probably has far as her legs can get. Some posts say this is mostly because she is too hot, cold, or dry while others say because she is gravid it could mean she is ready to give birth. Her heat lamp is a 25 watt red bulb which had not been on for a good hour or so when I observed the behavior. Just curious if stilting is only related to temperature issues or if gravid scorpions stilt as well. If I catch her doing it again I will try to get a picture but I didnt get one this time :/
She is try to get her body as close as possible to the heat source. You probably need to increase the temperature. They normally give birth in their burrow, or under their hides. Elevating this way is trying to obtain maximum warmth.

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
She is try to get her body as close as possible to the heat source. You probably need to increase the temperature. They normally give birth in their burrow, or under their hides. Elevating this way is trying to obtain maximum warmth.
OK I can just leave the light on for her and see what happens. I understood they want more warmth when gravid but did not want to overdo it.

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
I currently dont have any temp measuring equipment other than a general use room thermometer. I spent some time today looking at infrared thermometer guns and plan to buy one tomorrow. The room sits at about 80f-85f I have the 25 watt red bulb about 10 inches(25cm) away and figured it probably adds 10 degrees fahrenheit. I didnt want to buy any of those junkie thermometers from the pet store but I know its my mistake/fault for not having something.

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
I put a small house thermometer on the floor of the enclosure and its reading about 90f, probably not the most accurate but best I can do til the morning.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I put a small house thermometer on the floor of the enclosure and its reading about 90f, probably not the most accurate but best I can do til the morning.
90f will be fine, you don't really want any higher, not much lower though for a gravid female. Infrared temperature guns are invaluable, worth the money. They are not accurate if you take a reading through glass, and they won't give an accurate result from trying body temperature, other than that, really good.

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
Yeah I have read anything over 110 and the scorpion will cook. I planned to keep her under 100, she has a water dish and 2 hides. 1 hide is close to the heat mat on the side of the tank and the other hide is on the other side. Got the heat gun so we should be all good. Thanks for the info boss :)

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
I just got my first chance to use the temp gun and it is reading between 100 and 105. I am probably going to rehouse her into a clay and sand mix instead of straight sand that way she can burrow away from the heat some.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Is 100 the coolest spot? Try to fix it quickly, because she needs a spot cooler than that.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I just got my first chance to use the temp gun and it is reading between 100 and 105. I am probably going to rehouse her into a clay and sand mix instead of straight sand that way she can burrow away from the heat some.
If your room sits at 80/85f that will be fine. Switch off the 25 watt bulb or you are going to overheat your scorpion.Also you need to purchase a good Dimming thermostat to control your temperatures. If you do then you can control the temperature exactly, and the red bulb will dim/ cycle according to the enclosure/ ambient temperature. Control of the temperature is essential. And have the bulb at one end to allow a cooler end in the enclosure. You will need a Dimming thermostat for light bulbs, not any other types.

Last edited:

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
Is 100 the coolest spot? Try to fix it quickly, because she needs a spot cooler than that.
I understand 100 is too hot but she just loves heat right now. I was giving her heat 12 hours on and 12 hours off but as soon as the light turns off she sits on the side with the heating pad all night. I rehoused her yesterday and put a thick layer of clay/sand mix over her burrow to let her find a better heat gradient. She had hides before but on pure sand couldn't really burrow.

Last edited:

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
If your room sits at 80/85f that will be fine. Switch off the 25 watt bulb or you are going to overheat your scorpion.Also you need to purchase a good Dimming thermostat to control your temperatures. If you do then you can control the temperature exactly, and the red bulb will dim/ cycle according to the enclosure/ ambient temperature. Control of the temperature is essential. And have the bulb at one end to allow a cooler end in the enclosure. You will need a Dimming thermostat for light bulbs, not any other types.
I will work on a dimmer system this week while I monitor the room temps with the new heat gun.

Thane1616

Arachnosquire
All the care sheets say keep this species at 85f to 95f. I can't find much info on gravid behavior other than they like it warmer and they eat alot. So that's why I had it so warm. I figured warmer would be like 95-100 or so. I'm not trying to kill her just going off info that is probably dated or incorrect.

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
If she chooses to sit in that heat, that’s fine, but she needs a slightly cooler spot, in the usual temperature range, so that she actually has a choice. Maybe now with the clay mixture, the problem might be fixed if it is cooler in her burrow.