Gravid Female P. imperator

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive just taken my female down to the shop to find out if she is gravid as she has been acting more agressive lately. They said yes but I kept asking "will she give birth though and if so, I want to remove the male before hand to try to save his life"
They wouldnt give me an answer. Just saying she was gravid but upto her if she decides to give birth! Which could or could not happen depending on the "right conditions"

So I ask you guys...what are the right conditions? Anyone else had a gravid female but she didnt give birth?

I always assumed that when a female is classed as pregnant she WILL give birth in so many months...:confused:

Thank you

xxxxx

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can't answer this with any authority, so if you wish to stop reading do so now. :D

My experience is with Pandinus imperators and Heterometrus'

I had a female (P.imp) that in my opinion appeared gravid. She died without birthing at all and was in fact not gravid. (postmortem inspection)

I've had several scorpions that have given birth (P.imps and Hets) that in my opinion did not show outward signs of gravidity.

So there can only be an educated/non educated guess by any 'pet shop' owner as to it being pregnant.

I've never heard of a gravid scorpion not birthing, the P imps have an average gestation period of 7 months (as per 'scorpion biology') but it can take as long as a year in what I've read. Habitat can play an important role as to how soon it will birth and the higher temps and humidity will help.

Picture of a NOT gravid adult female.

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
See my babygrrrl looks like the pic!

it wasnt the "shop girl" who looked, she took her out back to the big boss....

So....I dont know what to expect then...maybe she really isnt gravid but I was told she was Wild caught which means there is a posibility...I dont know...I guess its just going to be a waiting game!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
waiting is the only way unless you see them mate for yourself. :p

All the ones that birthed in my care were store bought and pregnant at the time, they were in my care 3 to 6 months before they popped, so they had to be bought gravid. So there is a good chance yours is but you can't say for sure. :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What temps are you keeping it and what type of container, how much substrate and what kind? Dont you love it when someone answers a question with more questions? LOL
In all honesty though, knowing your captive conditions could help out alot ;)

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to be honest. I dont have something to read temps! I dont know humidity I just go by looking at the tank. if it gets to dry looking. spray...which can be once maybe twice depending on heat.

They have a massive tank :razz:

My finace saw them "holding claws and going in a circle" a while ago...but as no flat surface I wasnt worried...

When we bought them, they were both "the same" as in...both...the same {D no difference between the two. I would only know by seeing underneath when they climbed the tank...but recently...shes like the scorpion in the picture. We bought them 30th June. And now she looks like the one in the pic...but I dont know if she is just "well fed"
(only feed once a week, two hoppers or one locust each)

I guess it is just going to be a waiting game. If one morning she comes out with babies on her back, I will put him into another tank...this all meaning that he survives her!

Thanks for helping guys
xxxx

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She'll probably dig herself into her burrow and cover any entrances to her hide just before she pops. A good time to remove the male.

Good luck

Damo

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ooh thats a very good clue then! thank you :D :worship:
Currently they are both snuggled together under a hide. Their tails pressed together. its so cute.
I will just keep watching, keep observing! thank you again

xxxxx

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know if this will work for imps, but when my hets start digging in, I put a 1" round piece of (dry) sponge near the hide. Moms usually pulls it over the gap and covers the rest of the hole with substrate. This means my natural curiosity is catered for, as now and then I can roll the sponge forward a bit for a quick peek. (Carefully, as they are super quick and aggressive at this stage):D

Hope she is gravid, it's such cool experience.

Damo

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try keeping the temps around 80-85F. I wonder if you are keeping it too cool?

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how can I make sure of the temps? does that involve a heat light as well as a mat?
But to be honest...i dont feel ready for scorplings. Im scared they would die. Ive only had my new babies since the 30th June! :rolleyes:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
how can I make sure of the temps? does that involve a heat light as well as a mat?
First of all, invest in a thermometer and check your temps. You need to be sure of your temps before you start raising it or lowering it for that matter.
btw, I have seen my scorps drop babies by raising the humidity as well. By doing that you need to pour water on the substrate thus saturating it some. Since you are in England and knowing what I know about the temps over there, I am guessing that raising the temps and humidity might be the right thing to do. Just check your temps first before doing anything.

But to be honest...i dont feel ready for scorplings. Im scared they would die. Ive only had my new babies since the 30th June! :rolleyes:
There is really nothing to it! Especially if you read this thread I prepared especially for you ;)
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=69385

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when their substrate looks dry I do give a very good spray. but never poured water from a jug directly onto the substrate.

Im going to get a thermometer today...and one question about that...where do I put it? "hot side" or "cold side" or in the middle?

and one sorta off topic but wanna have a little "roll eye moan"

Fed them last night. Hoppers were walking past both. She took one and he, grrr everytime just ignored so now she in total has had 3 hoppers over the week and him only one!
I guess he just wasnt hungry! :rolleyes:

back to topic.
I shall invest and will report post haste when I have a reading
You guys are great

xxxxx

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good luck! Most pet store owners aren't going to want to say "I don't know",so they turn a guess into an answer. The final answer will come when you see babies, other than that, I'd say people are just speculating in the direction their ego takes them.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My guess, would be that it probably never happened.

The male is still alive and kicking, they can display mating behaviour but be unable to find a suitable place to lay the spermataphore. I've witnessed this without a bad break-up.

I may be wrong, you did say that your enclosure was quite big so maybe the male got away and they sucessfully mated, who knows.

You should take a picture and put it up here if you can.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...I guess he just wasnt hungry! :rolleyes:...
Don't be too worried if they don't eat every couple of days on schedule... My emperors would go longs time between feedings, they just weren't interested, the longest they refused food was for 12 - 13 weeks, but when they did take the food they pigged out {D

They know when they are hungry :p

GL

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know I shouldnt worry but I like to know they are both happy and fed without one eating all the food hahahahaha

Maybe the mating didnt happen. Maybe he tried his luck but as I have no flat surface for them, they gave up or she got bored of waiting and broke it off.

They both seem fine and dandy...sometimes she gets testy with him and picks fights but usually if he goes "come on then" she runs and hides {D
But to be honest they dont fight often and when they do its never really heated and over in less then a few minutes.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
when their substrate looks dry I do give a very good spray. but never poured water from a jug directly onto the substrate.
Pouring water from a jug is the best way to do it. Spraying usually only evaporates quickly.

Im going to get a thermometer today...and one question about that...where do I put it? "hot side" or "cold side" or in the middle?
If it was me, I would put it on the "hot" side and record the temp and then move it to the cool side and record it. I heat my entire room to 80-85F so there is no warm or cool side in my set ups.

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wasnt able to get to shop today! Was up southhampton and by the time we left...traffic and then by then the shop was shut!
We hoping to be able to get to shop after going to longleat *busy busy* but if failing that!!! Will get one on Thursday!

well thank you for the jug tip...I hope I dont end up drowning em hahahahaha

xxxxx

MissConnie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
82 humidity
73 temp

Bought some little do dads today. Been in a few hours now.
as its a dial one, really hard to see! But those as close as guestimates we could make

xxxxx