Gravid Deatstalker POPS!!!

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gravid Deathstalker POPS!!!

Leiurus quinquestriatus: More little ones. This time, humidity stayed the same and heat gradient was slowly increased. Food has not been eaten in at least a week, so I'll have to give the major factor of birthing for this species to temp. Humidity has been steady at 55% for over two months and food supply has been steady as well, with a slight increase due to Spring offerings, which occured almost two months ago. Temp was increased to 95 Fahrenheit for the last three days. Apparently, there are nearing thirty young which about half of were born and stayed away from the mother for the first half day of life and right next to a heat pad in a manner of warming themselves (temp measurements at this exact point neared a maximum of 105 Fahrenheit). Late this afternoon, they began to climb back onto their mother's back, apparently to rehydrate themselves from being away from mom so long and direnctly in the heat. One lost to cannibalism of the mother which was quickly replied to by myself with a de-legged cricket. No other fatalities have been sited.

WHOO HOO!!!

adios,
edw. =D

Last edited:

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesome...i'll buy a few off you if you wanna sell...
and you need to check your PM's lol.

Risto

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Will do, but I do still have the ancient form of photography, develope and scan, so it'll be a few days.

adios,
edw. :)

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry, I PMed you before I read this post!

Well, congrats again.

How are you going to remove them from mom? My method (with other scorps) has been to use a small paint brush (the kind artists use) and a tiny plastic cup taped to a long stick. How do you get babies off of dangerous moms?

Chris

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I did not remove the young from their mother until they came off her back on their own. Though the DS scorps are known well to eat their young, if they are being kept properly, the loss numbers are at a very low percentage. There are currently only two on her back. All others have come off and been removed and placed to their own home. Loss of three young scorps has been sited and I have accountability of all others. The numbers are 28 now.

adios,
edw.

=D

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmmm... well, now I scratch my head. A recount, three times, with the newly found (hiding in the mother's burrow) young, takes the total count to 32 and 4 lost. One was lost to the mother during birth and three were an unknown cause of death, but probability is that they were weaker than the others and were unable to stay away from the mother as long as they tried to be and became dehydrated. They are as fast as the mother in running speed but are simply smaller than a single one of her pedipalps. It's hilarious to see DS scorpion young attacking small crickets that are larger than them, and to see the cricket launch them into the air like a kite then crash land with a dead cricket from a rapid sting. Quite interesting and I can't help but to laugh at them as they run around, vibrating their tail viciously at their food, then, when they don't get a response in return, they attack it and run, returning moments later to eat.

adios,
edw. =D

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! That would be an awesome sight Edward! I always thought it was cool how highly venomous species neutralize their prey with a single sting, even when the prey is larger than they are! Must be loads of fun watching all those little boogers running around stinging their prey! hehe!

Glad to see your recount came out in the scorps (and your) favor!

Best wishes,

Paul

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nuh uh! That's one Scorpion I do not want. If something has the common name of Deathstalker that doesn't bode well for me. I mean if it can kill me I do not want it willingly as a pet.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i definatly want to get one of these in the future, as soon as i think that i am experienced enough. taht and i'll probably wait until i move out of my parents house (i ahve 2 young sisters who are always running in and out of my room looking at all my animals. and the last thing i need is an "accident")

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
Nuh uh! That's one Scorpion I do not want. If something has the common name of Deathstalker that doesn't bode well for me. I mean if it can kill me I do not want it willingly as a pet.

*lol* I like you. You're the first to say they don't want my DS babies. :D Ok, I'm only kidding. I like everybody else too. They really aren't as aggressive as the name depicts, but the venom potency definitely matches quite well. As long as they are in the hands of people with common sense, there isn't too much of a worry.

adios,
edw. =D

Deadly1

Deadliest of Them All
Old Timer
Well good luck with your babies.....I had purchased a few a couple months back but had no luck with them .......babies seemed to hard to keep alive. My A. Australis (3) are doing great though, looking for a A. Bicolor and some adult Deathstalkers. Hopefully Invertepet & Spidershoppe can finish off a nice "hot" collection for me. The Shipping really kicks my ass though.......cost more than the bugs do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Hey Ed,

Since its been about six months how about an update on the progress of this brood and maybe provide some details of any sucesses/failures rearing them to this point. Things such as molt frequency etc. would be interesting.

John
];')

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, that would be very interesting. I'd also like to know when you started to put them seperatly in delicups..?

BTW: Ed, I'm still waiting for the pics! ;)

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well guys, to be quite honest, I still haven't found the roll of film they're on. *scratches head* I think I got a couple pics developed, but the other roll had nothing but the DS babies on it. I'll try to post one of the others as soon as I get the pics scanned. I have had a couple developed that were on the roll to run out before I reloaded the cam.

As for separation. I separated the young DS babies as soon as they stopped climbing onto the mother's back. It was neccessary for their survival (they are well known to be highly cannibalistic at this age). As far as keeping, I keep them exactly the same as the adults but with one difference. The difference is that I spray one small area in their enclosures every week in order to provide to them a greater humidity if they want it, while I only spray the adults every 2-3 weeks. I have found only the second molted skin by 14 of them and all others have yet to molt since they were on their mother's back. All of the molts have been found in the more humid area of the enclosures. They all still measure in at less than 1 inch and coloration is far more brilliant than their adult counterparts.

It's entirely too late for me to be here right now, so I'll bid you all a good weekend (going out of town til' Sunday). If someone would like to remind me to post the pics, feel free by PM on Saturday evening and I'll do my best to get them up on Sunday AM before I go to work.

adios,
edw.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NICE PICTURE !!!!:rolleyes:. Congrats.

From
Eric