1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Gravid Camel spider

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Herp man Jack, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Herp man Jack

Herp man Jack Arachnopeon

CA
    Advertisement
    Hello everyone, this is my first post!
    I have recently taken a trip to the Serria Nevada mountain range for some collecting, sadly I did not have much luck but was treated with a wonderful surprise on my last day. Early in the morning at my camping site I decided to take a stroll and found a camel spider! This is not my first rodeo with them and have kept one that I found in Southern California about a year ago. I was able to keep it alive for about 5 months and it even gave birth! sadly though, I came in to find it had eaten the eggs from the exhaustion I am assuming. It then died a month later but I still have the little girl preserved in Alcohol. On the way back from my recent expedition I noticed after feeding a wax worm that my new girl is also stuffed with eggs :). I have been looking through many forms on this site about breeding them and morality rate. She seems to being doing fine right now but I will keep this fourm updated if it gains traction. One thing I have already noticed is that this specimen is extremely small compared to my first CS. (1st being 3 inc and this one being almost one inch) I have tried to count the eggs without stressing her out and there appears to be more than 80! she is packed full so I hope that the trama from her giving birth is not too bad and kills her. Im keeping a close eye on her and keeping her in a habitat similar to the environment that I found her in. Any advice is appreciated and I will be checking in with my nature center to see if they have The Biology of Camel-Spiders (Arachnida, Solifugae) by Fred Punzo. Also just a side note, I have noticed that keeping them in a small container works best to ensure life span. This will be my fourth CS so wish me luck! Stay lifted

• Like Like x 1
  2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Best of luck with her! I have tried keeping these guys before, but they are difficult to keep alive in captivity. I had one that laid eggs perhaps a year or so ago. When she laid the eggs, she'd already been in captivity for a while and was eating well - but she still promptly ate all of the eggs. She lived for another three or four months after that - and even molted - but she died shortly after the molt.

3. Herp man Jack

CA
    Thank you! Im checking in on her every hour to make sure if she lays eggs, I get to them first lol

4. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnoprince Active Member

Can you post a pic? There is actually quite a few species of solifugae in the US, and some are much smaller than others. Good luck!

5. Herp man Jack

CA
    Ill get onto it, Just waiting for her to remerge. Ill be sure to get a vid/photo of the eggs.

6. Herp man Jack

CA
    IMG_3252[1].JPG IMG_3252[1].JPG IMG_3257[1].PNG

7. mantisfan101

Nice! No clue on species though, maybe ammotrechidae? @Smokehound714 would be the best to help.

8. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

That is pretty gravid o_O

9. Herp man Jack

CA
    Does anyone know how long gestation takes for these guys, she has seemed ready to birth at any second for a long time now 0-0

10. mantisfan101

I think roughly a month after mating, but I could be wrong.

11. Herp man Jack

CA
    Dang It should happen any day now then, might just be different for the ranges that the guys have over CA

12. mantisfan101

Can you post a pic perhaps?

13. Herp man Jack

CA
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.