Gravid C. fimbriatus - Discoloration?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, I woke up this morning and checked in on my maternity ward as I usually do. When I looked in on my C. fimbriatus, I saw this strange coloration on the sides of her abdomen - it's symmetrical, and looks identical on the other side. This coloration was certainly not there just last night. I only know this because I was trying to take a picture of her.

She's not any more lethargic than she has been this past month. That's about the most I can say. Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Looooooads of eggs :astonished:

That is the most gravid fimbriatus I ever saw
Yeah, she's beyond fat. Her abdomen can't even lay flat anymore, it's always slouched off to the side. I'm thinking that it's just vascular tissue showing through the thinly stretched abdomen. Her heart and trailing veins/arteries have become extremely apparent these past few weeks, so I think it's the same deal. And really, it would make sense. This discoloration is right around the book lungs, and there is bound to be an abundance of vascular tissue around that area. What's worrisome is just how quickly this came about. Literally in a matter of hours.

Last edited:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Whoo lawd, tell her to hurry up and drop a sac so I can snatch up some of those slings! :watchingyou:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
double clutch?
I believe that double clutching does not entail two sacs from the same group of eggs. I'm pretty sure that the female simply makes more eggs after laying the first sac. I think she's just sitting on a stupid number of eggs :rofl:

creepa

Arachnoknight
I hope she can move that abdomen to lay all the silk..., if not then she's screwed.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow she needs to drop a sac!!! Looks so uncomfortable!!! It will happen soon I bet.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Wow she needs to drop a sac!!! Looks so uncomfortable!!! It will happen soon I bet.
It does look really uncomfortable, doesn't it. I'd bet she drops very soon.
She really does act like she's miserable. I miss my perpetually pissed off Chilo. She only leaves that spot when she's disturbed, and even when she moves it's at a snail's pace. I actually feel bad for her, this can't be comfortable. Let's just hope she's a good mom.

So no issues with the coloration? Just an issue of me worrying?

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't worry...I mean, what would there be to do? Don't let her drink, smoke or do any drugs....and maybe keep her sub damper:astonished:...otherwise its just a matter of letting nature take its course so to speak.

Hopefully she drops before she pops....its looking 50/50 right now...lmao.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is absolutely huge... I'd just take it as an indication she's very healthy and being kept in good conditions. Best of luck!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry...I mean, what would there be to do? Don't let her drink, smoke or do any drugs....and maybe keep her sub damper:astonished:...otherwise its just a matter of letting nature take its course so to speak.

Hopefully she drops before she pops....its looking 50/50 right now...lmao.
I do agree with keeping her sub damper. That species likes it pretty moist.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
You may have to grease her abdomin to help her slide.... she ain't lifting that booty:astonished:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, she was kept humid even before the pairing. It's only gotten more humid for her combined with the higher temperatures.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Poor thing. You'll have to post an 'after' picture once the eggs drop, just to see the difference lol.

obie

Arachnosquire
Wow she is huge. How large of an egg sac does this species normally do.

cold blood

Staff member
You don't agree with the other part? I can see your gravid females now...water dish full of brandy, pack of salems in the burrow and a needle under the pile of boli in the corner.:astonished::astonished: