Gravel Experiment Update

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So far the experiment has been going well, and the centipedes have been doing fine.

It took me a while to figure out the humidity factor, but I've found that the water dish keeps the humidity at abot 70% without misting.

My Alipes sp. had a large meal yesterday, but gave me a surprise this morning. I woke up to find that it had blocked the entrance to it's hide with gravel. That was unexpected, as I thought the gravel was to large and cumbersome for it to move. This tells me I may have to use a smaller gravel to make it easier for it to shut itself in. I'm not sure yet.

I do have some questions though. What reasons do centipedes shut themselves off for? I suspect it might be molting time, seeing as it just had a large meal. I also thought of the possibility of just wanting to be in hiding while digesting. Who knows, it might even be laying eggs! :rolleyes:

How long should I wait before I try to check on him/her?

This has been quite a learning experience for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So far the experiment has been going well, and the centipedes have been doing fine.

It took me a while to figure out the humidity factor, but I've found that the water dish keeps the humidity at abot 70% without misting.

My Alipes sp. had a large meal yesterday, but gave me a surprise this morning. I woke up to find that it had blocked the entrance to it's hide with gravel. That was unexpected, as I thought the gravel was to large and cumbersome for it to move. This tells me I may have to use a smaller gravel to make it easier for it to shut itself in. I'm not sure yet.

I do have some questions though. What reasons do centipedes shut themselves off for? I suspect it might be molting time, seeing as it just had a large meal. I also thought of the possibility of just wanting to be in hiding while digesting. Who knows, it might even be laying eggs! :rolleyes:

How long should I wait before I try to check on him/her?

This has been quite a learning experience for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

some of my centipedes shut themselves up for months at a time for no like, seperate reason (molting eggs, etc). i think they just sort of rest when they aren't driven to get food or water.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had six, I never ever saw one of them if I didn't chose to make it so. Now I've sold four, so I'm down to two again. Feels sad as I like these animals, but I don't even see them come out to hunt.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
some of my centipedes shut themselves up for months at a time for no like, seperate reason (molting eggs, etc). i think they just sort of rest when they aren't driven to get food or water.
some of mine aswell,it's amazing how long they can go without food/water

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably take a peek in the next few days, just to see how he is.