'Grass spider' with eggsac

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I have a common house/grass spider of unknown species with an eggsac. A couple of days ago she stopped carrying the eggs around. I fed the spider angle gave it water. What is the best course of action to take now?
20170626_125213.jpg

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Release it back in to the wild, where it's offspring can disperse and re-populate the area it was found, would be my next course of action.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
That doesn't look like a grass spider to me. Grass spiders do not carry their eggsac but instead place them in their web. Im not sure exactly what species it is, but I would either place the sac outside now (assuming it's a native species?) or if you were planing on keeping a few you can wait until it hatches, separate the ones you would like to keep, and release the rest.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have a common house/grass spider of unknown species with an eggsac. A couple of days ago she stopped carrying the eggs around. I fed the spider angle gave it water. What is the best course of action to take now?
That's a wolf spider (Lycosidae). When the spiderlings emerge, they will ride on their mother's back for a few days until they molt and disperse.

If you don't want to raise a bunch of spiderlings, you can release them outside when they disperse. (Or you can release mom with the spiderlings still on her back.)

Duriana

Arachnoknight
That's a wolf spider (Lycosidae). When the spiderlings emerge, they will ride on their mother's back for a few days until they molt and disperse.

If you don't want to raise a bunch of spiderlings, you can release them outside when they disperse. (Or you can release mom with the spiderlings still on her back.)
I didn't realize wolfs could drop their sacs. Or am I not seeing the picture correctly and she is still carrying them? o_O

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I didn't realize wolfs could drop their sacs. Or am I not seeing the picture correctly and she is still carrying them?
I don't see the sac in the picture, but the way the posterior lateral eyes are visible from this angle screams wolf spider, as does the description that she had been carrying the sac.

When I was new to keeping true spiders (before I got into tarantulas), I had a wolf spider make a sac in captivity. There were times toward the end when she did not carry the sac, but this could just be an artifact of captivity and not how she would have behaved in the wild. (I've never seen wild wolf spiders drop their sacs.)

Some spiderlings did finally emerge, so I released the mother and the spiderlings in my yard.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I'm a little concerned for the eggs. Mom laid the sac down a few days ago and hadn't picked it back up. Some mold has started to grow on it aswell.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Schizocosa.

they will make sterile egg sacs if unmated. they eventually abandon or eat it.