Graphite Trapdoor- Good News!!!

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got this girl trapdoor (3"DLS) not too long ago from Charles. No one knows what it is at all, but as you can see, it is shiny graphite looking. I'll call it "gunmetal." Anyway, she made a burrow complete with a trapdoor within a few hours of being in her new enclosure and now, a couple months later, I have an eggsac! I have about 30-40 little embryos in the sac and they all are alive and well. I may take some pics of them here soon. They look like little yellow beads with legs, of course. Anyway, here's the lucky mom:

Starting her burrow:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you know where it originally came from? Very kewl spider btw. Did you pull the sac I take it?

Benegg

Arachnopeon
Hi, I think it´s a Cyphonisia spc. from Kenia.
I got one on this weekend and i´m absolotly fastinated.

Bene

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Bene,
why do you think it´s a Cyphonisia? Why not a Pisenor sp.?
The only spiders I would claim to be Cyphonisia (cf. affinitata) are the one I got from btbe. But I´m only sure because one those died and so I was able to examine and compare it.

@KUJordan:
Got a pic of the eggsac? I´m pretty interested in how the spider built that sac (in its burrow or outside of it) and if it transports the sac or if it´s attached to a side (or bottom) of the burrow.
I mated my female of Cyphonisia cf. affinitata and now I´m waiting for her to built a sac. How do you keep yours? Looks pretty moist in the container.

Last edited:

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DJ- you're absolutely right about the family! Thanks so much, I had no flippin' clue what it was.

Improver-
Her first burrow was simply a sealed pocket under the substrate. It had NO opening and she stopped eating. I though she was dead and so I dug her up. The sac was just laying in the burrow with her, not attached to the side or anything. It was NOT round like other terrestrial mygalomorph sacs. It looked exactly like a micro omelette! It was about 3/4" long and 1/2" wide. It looked like a circle of silk that had been foled over and sealed, just like an omelette is made. It was pretty flat like an omelette as well. I removed it and also removed the embryos from the sac. They are developing nicely in a special setup. I hope this info helps!

Benegg

Arachnopeon
@ Improver:
Hi, I have that species from btbe, too for 3 days and I think she looks like the spider on the pictures. It was just a guess.
My one was build a burrow with a realy good disguised trapdoor, but she don´t takes some crickets so I think she isn´t ready with her pipe, now.
I´m very anxious to see what is happening next.
Improver have you still more Trapdoors from btbe or anyones?

Benedict

Bastian Drolshagen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,

@KUJordan: Thanks a lot this info really helped me. I was really wondering, because I have never seen a trapdoor eggsac before (but I know how a omlette lokks like LOL). I have only seen sacs of Atypus and those were attached to the silkened tube they´re living in.

@Benegg: Yes, I also got that brown-grey species (under the right light the even look purple), and from what I´ve seen those are Cyphonisia sp. too. The two of the brown-grey species moulted so I know I´ve got two females :(
I was pretty lucky since btbe also sent me a mature male of that Cyphonisia cf. affinitata for id purposes (incl. its last moult) so I was able to tell that I´ve got male and female of the same species. Now I´m waiting for her to build a sac. The male got killed by the second female I tried him to mate with.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The flat shape of the sack makes sense for this spider, as it would more easily fit with her in the borrow.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DJ Almighty-

Do you know exactly what species the ones in your picture are? I have been thinking about it and they look pretty much exactly the same though mine has some serious "sheen" to it. I think I'd go ahead and adopt the species name for mine if you happen to know yours. Thanks.