Grampus Scorpions

Bruce Metcalf

Arachnopeon
Need help to identify, what looks to me to be a scorpion. I am told that it is a grampus. But not being onto scorpions, I am at a loss. A picture would help. I live in Florida. Thank you.

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are several Fl scorpion species. C. Hentzi and C. Garcilis being the most common. Those two speices are quite different in size, color, and shape. If you could post a better description of the aproximate size, color, and shape it would be very helpfull. If i had to make a guess seeing that you are in deland, i would say that they are C. hentzi. Below is a picture of both a male and female Fl bark scorpions that i found in Lake Wales FL.

Last edited:

Bruce Metcalf

Arachnopeon
Steve
Thank you for the reply. I viewed the photos and the scorpion that I found does not resemble these. I did some reserch and I believe it is a whiptail. It has two,what I would call claws, that look like crab clawsat the end of three sections. each claw has three pinchers. The tail is about one and a half inches long and does resemble a whip. The body(two sections) measures two and a half inches,brown in color.
It was found dead in a swimming pool but quite well preserved. I have since kept it in a freezer hoping that I could find someone like yourself to tell what it is. Would you happen to have a picture of a whip tail scorpion? If you believe that is what it is. Thanks

Bruce

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You are vey lucky to find one. They are not seen much. They prefer to hide most of the time. What you have described is a FL Vinegaroon. They are not at all harmfull, they cant sting or bite. They can spray a mild vinegar smelling acid, hence their name. They are a welcome pest control species. Here is a pic of the "giant" vinegaroon (Mastigoproctus giganteus) from the southwest U.S.

P.S. They are called Grampus scorps buy some people. I found that term also used on another site. It did not click untill you posted what it looked like. :)

Bruce Metcalf

Arachnopeon
Steve
Thanks a lot for the help. Looks like you hit the nail on the head on the second try. I hate to just throw away such a beautiful creature and it is in such a good state of preservation. Would anyone you know of, want it for any kind of collection. I would gladly package it and send it to them, if you do.
Thanks again.
Bruce

steve055

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could preserve in resin if you wanted to keep it, it would make a nice "paper weight". Just go to the local home depot and get some clear resin. I would use a small tin loaf or pie pan for a mold. If not i would take it rather than see it go to waste.

Bruce Metcalf

Arachnopeon
Steve
I think I will give the resin a try. It sounds like a good idea. I just hope I don't ruin it. Thanks again for all of the help. It sure is nice to have someone to go to with things like this. I will let you know how I make out with my paper weight.
Bruce

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by steve055
You could preserve in resin if you wanted to keep it, it would make a nice "paper weight". Just go to the local home depot and get some clear resin. I would use a small tin loaf or pie pan for a mold. If not i would take it rather than see it go to waste.
Home Depot sells Resin? in which dept. would it be in and what is the purpose it is sold for? (this is so I don't get the same blank stares that I got when I was trying to find the water saver crystals aka polymers at our local home depot)
Ed

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Atavuss,

I've seen those stares while looking for this resin as well. I just turned up a resin on the web. At least I know the name of it now. If I can't find any this week I'm just going to order some from this website. Check it out. I hope it helps.

http://www.misterart.com/store/browse.cfm?store=001&cat_id=394

ps. You need to buy both the clear casting resin and the resin catalyst.

Last edited:

chulopiscinas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Probando

hello.
no se si me funcionará esta cuenta , soy nuevo y aun estoy un poco pez en esto.
saludosundefined :}

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Resin, aka fiberglass resin, is available all over. It comes in tin cans usually, and is very cheap, as is the "hardener". Auto stores, hardware, and walmart will all surely have it in the auto department, near the bondo type stuff.

Cheers

Jon