Gramostola rosea red form hasn't eaten for about 3 months

paterlini

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I have a little L2-3 rosea red form. I bought it in early January. It hasn't eaten since I bought it. It's almost 3 months.

Temperature is about 24-27 C (75F - 80F).
Humidity in my room is about 60%.

I even tried to increase the humidity by spraying some water every 3 days, then every 2 days, every day and 2 times a day.

I tried:
- live mini crickets with legs and without, mini meal worms. It was scared and immediately ran away. I left the meal during the whole day and night.
- crashed mini crickets, mini meal worms. I left the meal during 2 days, but it stayed on the same place.
- cut crickets, cricket legs and super worms, nothing happened...

At first, I thought that it's in pre-molt.

The T looks the same as I bought it. Abdomen hasn't changed the size or color.
I know, that they are very shy and sometimes don't like to eat for long time, but I'm a little bit worried.

Could you please give me some advice?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as the abdomen does not appear to be shrinking, I wouldn't be concerned. Have water available, and continue to offer a prey item every week or so. G. rosea are notorious for their fasts, even as slings.

paterlini

Arachnopeon
abdomen doesn't appear to be shrinking. I offer it sliced warm on weekly basis + mist 1-2 weekly

Last edited:

Den

Arachnosquire
abdomen doesn't appear to be shrinking. I offer it sliced warm on weekly basis + mist 1-2 weekly
They also hate wet bedding, so you should syop misting it's enclosure, and just overflow it's water dish weekly. If it doesn't have a water dish yet, a good rule of thumb is to give them one at about 3 inches, then you should increase the humidity a little bit by misting lightly on the same frequency.

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Your doing fine she's probably just being fussing and doesn't want to eat. Just keep trying to feed her everyday until she finally eats.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your doing fine she's probably just being fussing and doesn't want to eat. Just keep trying to feed her everyday until she finally eats.
Incorrect. That will likely just stress her out.

Just try once a week. It'll eat when it feels like it.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
depending on the size either wet a corner of the substrate or fill up a small water dish keep trying to feed once a week some of my rosie slings went off food for long periods of time and now they're eating again they just like going off their food from time to time

paterlini

Arachnopeon
I know, that it's enough to overflow a water dish once a week.
I just wanted to try to change the humidity, so it may be eat something.
I'm starting to feel desperate...

phily1579

Arachnopeon
My rosea went 3 months without eating bc it was in premolt. Dnt keep misting the tank, roseas like there subrtrate on the dryer side. Its prob in premolt. Offer it food. If it dnt eat it take the cricket out. Dnt leave it in there. Tarantulas r amazing creatures. Make sure u got a water dish in there. When my didnt eat, it would drink water...

DuaneT

Arachnopeon
Im glad i searched and found this, my lil one is doing the same, puts my mind at ease :)

tangoblue37

Arachnosquire
Brett G funny u should say that cos I just posted a thread about mine not eating for a year now. Were you being serious when you said only worry after 3?

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Old thread. ;)

I think he was being haha-only-serious; somewhat facetious but not impossible. Again, the guideline is their abdomen: If it's plump or at least not shriveled, then try feeding them once a week or so (or once a month, seen different ideas about that...), and they'll eat when they're hungry. Or won't eat. Either way, it'll do what it'll do, nothing much you can do about it!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Start worrying when it has not eaten for 3 years......
Aha! Finally a brief flash of insight! You've made my day!

Actually, 18 months to 2 years would be safer. Don't want to stress it too much.

The record for length of fasting now stands at slightly over 3 years. The record for length between molts now stands at more then 8 years.

I swear these things are going to give me a heart attack!

:biggrin:

---------- Post added 02-22-2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

Hi guys, I have a little L2-3 rosea red form. I bought it in early January. It hasn't eaten since I bought it. It's almost 3 months. ...
You need very badly to read Care and Husbandry of the Chilean Rose Tarantula.

Temperature is about 24-27 C (75F - 80F). ...
You need very badly to read Temperature....

Humidity in my room is about 60%. ...
You need very badly to read Humidity....

At first, I thought that it's in pre-molt. ...
You need very badly to read Stan's Rant.

You need very badly to read the books recommended in Stan's Rant.

Test on Friday. WAIT! This IS Friday! Forget it. But, your little 8-legged buddy is going to be giving you spot quizzes every day!

Enjoy your little 8-legged bookworm!