Gramostola Rosea marking

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
IMG_3351.JPG

Hi!
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to T's, this is my baby Роза. My question pertains to the gold square on her back, is this a normal marking for a G. rosea? I know it's not the clearest picture of it She's currently eating! If you want a clearer picture I'll get one for you .

Thank you for any answers!
Alyx and Роза х

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It is completely normal. It is called a mirror patch. It is where there is a certain type of urticating hairs different from the other setae :)

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
It is completely normal. It is called a mirror patch. It is where there is a certain type of urticating hairs different from the other setae :)
Ah brilliant, thank you! Glad to hear it's normal!

Alyx and Роза х

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
I've googled G. porteri and searched on here and that just confused me even more! :(

Alyx and Роза х

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its basically the same care and disposition so nothing to worry about. It just isnt as red/rose as G. rosea. :)

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
Its basically the same care and disposition so nothing to worry about. It just isnt as red/rose as G. rosea. :)
Again thank you ;)! I've spent the majority of my time on Google since purchasing her :bookworm: and I still seem to be finding out something new all the time!

Get T's they said... They're easy they said... ;)

Alyx and Роза х

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
In other news; her name is also slightly redundant now I've discovered she's not G. rosea!

Alyx and Роза х

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Welcome to the hobby.

Names should be kept no matter if redundant. My first T was a G. porteri 1.5cm spiderling that I called Craig..

.. Now she's 5.5" and she's still called Craig :p

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby.

Names should be kept no matter if redundant. My first T was a G. porteri 1.5cm spiderling that I called Craig..

.. Now she's 5.5" and she's still called Craig :p
Thank you!

Oh she'll always be Роза! :happy: As soon as I thought it I knew it was right for her :D. (It was the first word I learnt in Russian as Roses are my favourite flower!)

Craig is an excellent name! And I bet she rocks it ;)!

Alyx and Роза х

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
Hahah, my H. gigas was named Nexie for a year and I called it a "her" then two days ago I discovered "she" was a "he"....Still gonna call him Nexie! Which means "little water spirit"

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
Hahah, my H. gigas was named Nexie for a year and I called it a "her" then two days ago I discovered "she" was a "he"....Still gonna call him Nexie! Which means "little water spirit"
That's a gorgeous name! :) Nexie sounds pretty unisex if you ask me anyway ;)

I believe that names imbue a bond of sorts and definitely shouldn't be changed after they're given! My male Corn Snake was called Nancy for most of his life after being wrongly sexed as a young un!

Alyx and Роза х

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
That's a gorgeous name! :) Nexie sounds pretty unisex if you ask me anyway ;)

I believe that names imbue a bond of sorts and definitely shouldn't be changed after they're given! My male Corn Snake was called Nancy for most of his life after being wrongly sexed as a young un!

Alyx and Роза х
Awww, Nancy sounds so cute <3 I need a corn snake. Most tarantula collectors don't name because a "bond" doesn't really work when you have 300+ spiders, hahah. But naming for me just makes it easier to talk about them to people who don't understand the latin scientific name (Like my mom) It's easier for me to just think "Oh, Kirby molted today" than "Oh, one of my B. albopilosums molted today", Ya know?

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
Awww, Nancy sounds so cute <3 I need a corn snake. Most tarantula collectors don't name because a "bond" doesn't really work when you have 300+ spiders, hahah. But naming for me just makes it easier to talk about them to people who don't understand the latin scientific name (Like my mom) It's easier for me to just think "Oh, Kirby molted today" than "Oh, one of my B. albopilosums molted today", Ya know?
He was! He was also a feisty little thing! (Just the way I like them ;)). He'd strike through the viv as you walked past. Only Corn I've owned that's bitten me...

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! It's easier at the beginning when you only have one tho :rofl:!

My mum is exactly the same... Tho she actually came in the same room as Роза on Sunday! (Miracle in itself!). I start trying to go any more complex than 'tarantula' and she looks at me blank then changes the subject :hurting:.

Alyx and Роза х

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
He was! He was also a feisty little thing! (Just the way I like them ;)). He'd strike through the viv as you walked past. Only Corn I've owned that's bitten me...

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! It's easier at the beginning when you only have one tho :rofl:!

My mum is exactly the same... Tho she actually came in the same room as Роза on Sunday! (Miracle in itself!). I start trying to go any more complex than 'tarantula' and she looks at me blank then changes the subject :hurting:.

Alyx and Роза х
You have no idea how hard it was to get her to buy this N. chromatus she saw for me at the pet store. I wasn't there so I was trying to text her which one I wanted and it was basically like this:

"The black and white knee one"

"the one with striped legs"

"GET THE STRIPEY ONE DANGIT"

I hate these english names :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
Looking for pic on google is risky, as in every page of pics, there's always dozens that aren't right. Don't worry though, it still carries the common name of rose hair. G. rosea is the red color form of the rose hair, porteri is the normal color form. Both have the same care and are from the same region.

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
You have no idea how hard it was to get her to buy this N. chromatus she saw for me at the pet store. I wasn't there so I was trying to text her which one I wanted and it was basically like this:

"The black and white knee one"

"the one with striped legs"

"GET THE STRIPEY ONE DANGIT"

I hate these english names :rofl:
That sounds about right! My mum still struggles with getting me the right cat food :rofl:

Alyx and Роза х

Alyx Jayne

Arachnopeon
Looking for pic on google is risky, as in every page of pics, there's always dozens that aren't right. Don't worry though, it still carries the common name of rose hair. G. rosea is the red color form of the rose hair, porteri is the normal color form. Both have the same care and are from the same region.
That's a very fair point about google... you'd think I'd know that :rofl:.

That makes a lot more sense now thank you :)

Alyx and Роза х

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I strongly suggest you read as much as possible about Ts, basic anatomy AND do NOT use caresheets as a resource, nor YouTube at this point in your learning. CARESHEETS KILL TARANTULAS.