Gramostola Pulchra abdomenal deformation

peachlover

Arachnopeon
Hello guys I'm new to the boards and I registered because of a problem with my G. Pulchra (Brasilian Black). My Bear - thats the name, have some strange deformations on her abdomen it stared like 2 years ago when it was just oddly shaped spot. When I consulted my local T club they said its maybe a injury caused by falling or some hit while jumping on the meal and it will cure after a molt. But after the next molt it was still there even a bit bigger. During all that time there is no change in eating habits and so. Thats why I was not worried so much but a month ago she molted again (a year after previous molt) and her abdomen took strange shaped and still the spot that now looks really like a break in chitin; molting was normal, took less than a hour and she is active and feeding well. Still I'm getting worried because this thing is not getting better and if I can help her somehow I hope to get advice here. Here I'll post some photos. Size of the pics is quite high so ill just post links i hope its ok.
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6716/p1090966.jpg
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1043/p1090967.jpg
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/922/p1090968.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9914/p1090969.jpg

I hope to get some answers.

Thanks in advance!

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
setup

(1) first off it on the wrong set up wood chip are not recommended try coco fiber u can find it every where in petstores, it comes in a brick form.

(2) looks like it has 1 OR 2 cyst (s) and most likey will die in the next molt i don't think there curable in tarantulas

(3)the abdomen seems detached ive seen this 2 time with one molting out nd the other living

seems to be doom best thing to do is do some research and prvide it a good home untill it "gos to a better place"

welcome to the boards and hope you have better luck next time and hope some one can confirm my statement

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ouch

I agree with the above post, change the substrate immediately! Those cysts do not look good at all, they could be the result from the heavily abrasive wood chips.

I don't have much more advice, some higher ups will chime in soon enough who have experience with abdominal growths.

peachlover

Arachnopeon
I cannot agree because this substrate is relatively new thing. And she dont have problems with bottom of her abdomen. Hope you are both wrong and still awaiting some responses I'll change substrate though .

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
I cannot agree because this substrate is relatively new thing. And she dont have problems with bottom of her abdomen. Hope you are both wrong and still awaiting some responses I'll change substrate though .

in no way did i say OR mean that the wood chips caused this but is not gonna help, id advise you to take the advice.

i would provide it a GOOD home witch it dose not have right now....

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I see what you say about subtrate to be new... what other members mean is to NOT use ANY wood as a substrate. Nearly every reply here will tell you this. Remove it. Even NO substrate is better than the wood. I do not mean to seem angry, I am only telling you what others will say.

As for her "deformations", I hesitate to offer any opinion as I am not well-educated with this.

Trust me, there will be other very experienced T-keepers who will post here to offer advice,

Listen to what they tell you.

Good luck with your G. pulchra-she's a pretty T! S.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreeing with the above post.

Pick up some Eco Earth, potting soil, or coco fiber, and replace that substrate immediately. Wood chips could likely cause further harm to what looks like an already unhealthy T.

The abdomen reminds me of something I've seen on one of RobC's tarantulas... he might be the one to ask about it.

Good luck, in any case!

razor244

Arachnopeon
hey im sorry to see your T like that. you obviously care about her to sign up to attempt find out information to help her. I am not familiar with the problem you have . i just wanted to say most people here have good intentions and are trying to help, they just sound like jerks while doing it. i wish you the best of luck with your T.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just wanted to say most people here have good intentions and are trying to help, they just sound like jerks while doing it. i wish you the best of luck with your T.
Just because we don't sugar coat our replies doesn't mean we're trying to sound like (or even to be) jerks.

Most of us are reasonably intelligent, and don't like being patronized; so we tend not to patronize others with our replies. We inform.

If you want a sweet candy coating to every reply, you're likely in the wrong place. :embarrassed:

razor244

Arachnopeon
Just because we don't sugar coat our replies doesn't mean we're trying to sound like (or even to be) jerks.

Most of us are reasonably intelligent, and don't like being patronized; so we tend not to patronize others with our replies. We inform.

If you want a sweet candy coating to every reply, you're likely in the wrong place. :embarrassed:

it is not necessary to sugar coat anything. if there is a situation where someones pet is in need of help people could at least use tact.:embarrassed:

if you need a definition of the word tact it is "a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations. "

perhaps i need more...but ill just wave the white flag so this thread doesnt turn into something else entirely so the OP can find out some infoto help is T... sorry

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I would change the substrate to DRY organic peat or fine coco fiber. Make sure you fill the cage up enough so it is 6-8" from the top. Take out any hard decorations. This will reduce the chance of her falling or scraping her injury. That includes keeping the dish burried into the sub a little bit. Try not to feed her for a while. I would recommend taking her off food for a month and then feed her 1-2 crickets a week. This will give her a chance to lose some weight and take pressure off of her organs. Then sit back and hope she will improve. Good luck and keep us updated on her progress.

(2) looks like it has 1 OR 2 cyst (s) and most likey will die in the next molt i don't think there curable in tarantulas
My P. irminia had a cyst and she survived just fine. I drained the fluid and patched her. There are alot of cases when this happens and they survive. But im pretty sure you've missed all that information. ;)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a thread that has a T with what is potentially similar problem. This member actually did surgery on his T.

Here is an update.

I haven't had a problem like that, but it reminded me of this thread. Good luck, but it doesn't look hopeful to be honest. :(

peachlover

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all members who responded. After I saw the post for P. rufilata surgery I've decided to change the substrate and give her nice diet of just one or maybe two meals a month for some time so she will have the chance to lose some wight and decrease pressure on her organs. Then I'll just wait for some change before or after her next molt.I don't feel like going for the surgical intervention before I'm sure its inevitable (get worse). I still have some hope it will just stay like that (or get better) because of a post sharing info on a T thats live and well with "bumps". I'll keep you posted.

ZombieGal

Arachnopeon
Changing the substrate was deffinetly a good idea, regardless if it caused it or not.

Your poor T :( I hope Bear pulls through!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That sucks, looks a lot like how Zillas and sammys abdomen started, did this come on fast or was it gradual??

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That sucks, looks a lot like how Zillas and sammys abdomen started, did this come on fast or was it gradual??
It does remind me of that, too.

I wonder if there are any similar factors in background of the T's?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rob~ original post a.k.a. first post ;)

peachlover said:
Hello guys I'm new to the boards and I registered because of a problem with my G. Pulchra (Brasilian Black). My Bear - thats the name, have some strange deformations on her abdomen it stared like 2 years ago when it was just oddly shaped spot. When I consulted my local T club they said its maybe a injury caused by falling or some hit while jumping on the meal and it will cure after a molt. But after the next molt it was still there even a bit bigger. During all that time there is no change in eating habits and so. Thats why I was not worried so much but a month ago she molted again (a year after previous molt) and her abdomen took strange shaped and still the spot that now looks really like a break in chitin; molting was normal, took less than a hour and she is active and feeding well. Still I'm getting worried because this thing is not getting better and if I can help her somehow I hope to get advice here. Here I'll post some photos. Size of the pics is quite high so ill just post links i hope its ok.