Grammostola species: Battle of The Rosie's

Estein

Arachnoknight
What beautiful photos! I have a gal identical to your first picture.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Nice pics Pinche Huevos

Last edited:

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
These are not the same species. There are a huge number of different species of Grammostola from Chile that all look very similar, making it difficult to accurately tell what species you have. It's similar to the situation the Avic genus is in.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
These are all the same species? Wow.
No. these are all very closely related species of Grammostola.
What he means is that, since Chile has closed off/restricted exports, they haven't been able to export the Grammostola rosea and porteri as much if at all. Now there are many different undescribed localities coming in. The one that has really replaced Grammostola rosea/porteri at the pet stores is Grammostola sp. "Northern Gold". The store employees cannot tell the difference though, and they just call them "Rose Hairs".

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What he means is that, since Chile has closed off/restricted exports, they haven't been able to export the Grammostola rosea and porteri as much if at all. Now there are many different undescribed localities coming in. The one that has really replaced Grammostola rosea/porteri at the pet stores is Grammostola sp. "Northern Gold". The store employees cannot tell the difference though, and they just call them "Rose Hairs".
So, if I'm understanding correctly, if I was to go into Petco or Petsmart, I would be able to find one of these species or?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
So that would be the third (starting from the bottom?)?
Actually not sure about that one, I haven't really kept up on all the different morphs and localities that are in the trade so far. I would guess though, that "Northern Gold" is one of the bottom two pics.