Grammostola sp. "North" breeding?

GG80

Arachnoknight
I have the chance to purchase a pair of Grammostola sp. "North", MM and MF. I would really like to attempt a breeding project and would like to get some feedback from anyone with experience of breeding this species before I decide to purchase them.

Are they difficult to mate and do they need specific requirements for breeding?
If a mating attempt is successful, how difficult is it to keep the sack and eggs good until hatched?

I've done plenty of research on the breeding process and how to take care of the eggs but all I can find is general information, not species specific info, thus the question about this particular species.
So, any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I have the chance to purchase a pair of Grammostola sp. "North", MM and MF. I would really like to attempt a breeding project and would like to get some feedback from anyone with experience of breeding this species before I decide to purchase them.

Are they difficult to mate and do they need specific requirements for breeding?
If a mating attempt is successful, how difficult is it to keep the sack and eggs good until hatched?

I've done plenty of research on the breeding process and how to take care of the eggs but all I can find is general information, not species specific info, thus the question about this particular species.
So, any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have a quadruplet of these guys currently, 1 large MF and then 2.1 immature specimens.

I have PAIRED my female with a previous male (which she ate, but more on that in a bit) but she never dropped a sac, I suspect the male was not fertile or had never made a sperm web over the few months I had him and had paired them.

I paired them multiple times and the female never showed any aggression what so ever towards him, very receptive as a whole. Keep in mind this may be an individual thing. Breeding should be pretty straight forward, posts and then wait for a sac. Supposedly they don't require any climate ques. But this is just from my own research and experience. Which as you can see is limited. The person to ask is @Exoskeleton Invertebrates . He's all about these guys and I believe he has been successful breeding them.

On the male meal:
I got him for 10$ at a convention without really knowing how long he was mature, he never made a sperm web in my care (5 months or so) and hadn't taken a meal in the last 3 months, so the poor chap was withering away to nothing, so in the end I left him and the female in a large 20 gallon enclosure for him to live it his days. Best case they paired again and he got another shot at kids, worst case his decline got ended naturally, unfortunately he ended up munched which IMO is better than simply withering. At least she got a meal out of it.

I'd say go for it, not that there are really in high demand, but not really anyone is breeding them and my experience was a good one

GG80

Arachnoknight
I'd say go for it, not that there are really in high demand, but not really anyone is breeding them and my experience was a good one
Thanks for your reply. I know they're not in high demand and my intended breeding project would be solely for research and experience purposes and not financial. I have no expectations, just looking for experience in the breeding process. I've been looking for a MM G. porteri for my MF(my only adult T) for months as I'm very interested in trying to breed but no joy, so, when I saw the G. sp. "North" pair for sale I figured it was a great opportunity to gain some experience in breeding.

Thanks again for your input.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I was also looking to undertake another porteri breeding project . They are common and the demand isn't high but I just enjoy the process of breeding . Right now I have a 1.2 trio of them that I bought for a future project . However , I am am about 90% sure that I'm going to sell them as I recently scored some very nice P.murinus TCF and that have now become the next breeding project that I will undertake . There aren't many TCF in the trade and I would like to change that . If you do have success with your endeavors then the one suggestion that I will make is that you find a retailer who will buy the whole mess of slings at one time . If you try and sell then one or two a time it will take you forever . Granted straw packing a hundred or so slings with also take forever , but hey it's all part of breeding Ts .

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Paul Becker petcenterusa.com usually buys whole sacs from what I hear and is a pretty good guy. I also see "inlandsea" buying bulks from the classifieds all the time