Grammostola rosea

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
There is only 1 form now. Previously rosea ncf is now porteri and rosea rcf is rosea now. At least that is to my knowledge

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
Icarus is correct there is now only 1 form. I grew up with this spider before people even knew what to name it. It is a beautiful creature. It is not as popular as before but it is still such a beauty. I hope to eventually replace Rosie but I find it very hard to do so.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Icarus is correct there is now only 1 form. I grew up with this spider before people even knew what to name it. It is a beautiful creature. It is not as popular as before but it is still such a beauty. I hope to eventually replace Rosie but I find it very hard to do so.
This was also my first T as a kid. Mine too was named Rosie and i also have not been able to bring myself to get another one.
I wonder how many people our age have this story.
Weird. Lol

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
This was also my first T as a kid. Mine too was named Rosie and i also have not been able to bring myself to get another one.
Weird. Lol
Yes a pet you grow up with is very difficult to replace. I have tried and have found children/adults never forget. Rosie lived a long, long life and I have never forgotten her.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Weird. Lol
I am probably not your age, but guess what my Porteris name is.... the "true" rosea's are stunners though, I gotta admit. Love my girl though.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. rosea is rosea and G. porteri is porteri for now. There is no such thing as one form until a taxonomist has made an accurate description.

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
G. rosea is rosea and G. porteri is porteri for now. There is no such thing as one form until a taxonomist has made an accurate description.
Before G. porteri was known as such it was grouped into the G. rosea species as the neutral color form. That it is now known as the G. porteri means there is only one true G. rosea now.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before G. porteri was known as such it was grouped into the G. rosea species as the neutral color form. That it is now known as the G. porteri means there is only one true G. rosea now.
There has always been one true rosea. As there is also one true porteri. The hobby material porteri still needs to be classified as porteri not rosea. Nothing has change in The World Spider Catalog and there has not been an updated description of any of the Grammostola species.

Atraxrobustus86

Arachnopeon
There has always been one true rosea. As there is also one true porteri. The hobby material porteri still needs to be classified as porteri not rosea. Nothing has change in The World Spider Catalog and there has not been an updated description of any of the Grammostola species.
You are correct but The WSC was created in 2000 I'm talking about 15-20 years before when I was just a little boy and my father was researching for his PhD. A lot of people in the late 70's the 80's and the 90's were importing G. porteri and selling them as G. rosea ncf. It created a lot of confusion.

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first T was a Grammostola rosea— her name was Maldoon, and she was given to me by a friend who no longer wanted to care for her. It was love at first sight and she lived to be just over 25 years old. Best spidey ever. They are incredibly beautiful esp. after a molt. This is one species I will always keep ❤

KenD

Arachnosquire
Weird. Lol
I'm a decade older, but my first T was a rose hair (no idea if rosea or porteri). Probably something like 30 years ago. A mature male, I suspect, and it didn't live very long.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When I read current literature from Chile, they seem to still consider what hobbyists insist are porteri as G. rosea. Until new literature says otherwise, I will go with what Chileans go with. See figure 3 in this paper. It is open access so can be found on the world wide web.

Impact of disturbed areas on Theraphosidae spiders diversity (Araneae) and first population data of Grammostola rosea (Walckenaer) in Panul Park
Milenko A. Aguilera, Rubén Montenegro V., María Eugenia Casanueva
First published: 08 May 2019

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
G. porteri is a valid taxon that was wrongly spread in the hobby to individuals that were once known as G. rosea NCF.

Real G. porteri is unknown even to science and it might become nomen dubium so, if we're gonna take all semantics and rights or wrongs into consideration, the most plausible way to labeled this NCF/porteri is just Grammostola sp.

But in the pet trade, you can give her any name you want, as long as you dont crossbreed them. ;)