Grammostola rosea experiences.

LucioArgento211

Arachnopeon
Rosies are definitely some of the wierdest t's in terms of behavior IMO. What are some of your experiences with G. rosea?

Out of all of the T's I have been around and out of the 4 I own (2 of them being rosies, others an A. avic and a L. difficilis), I find my rosies to be the strangest of the bunch, in terms of behavior at least. They aren't always active, but when they are they are always landscaping or webbing. My [assumed] female can be a total sweetheart at times, and other times just opening her lid is enough to send urticating hairs flying. Occasionally I am greeted with a defense posture and a few lunges from her.

Her mate is the same way. I have had Boris the Spider for over a year, and before he moulted into a MM he was an absolute sweetie and was as calm as can be. Since then, he has become the most evil tarantula I own and will not hesitate to stand up on his hind legs and attempt to leap while in a defensive position. Just this past friday was the first time he has eaten in over a year, and I still have not observed him drinking since he matured. Yet despite this his desire to roam and web the hell out of things has been stronger than ever.

Looking forward to hear some interesting tales!

Death999

Arachnopeon
I have an odd RCF

her name is Fizwidget and I ordered her thinking she would be my buddy and the only T I would ever try to handle:rolleyes:

Okay so needles to say anything that touches her is instantly bitten. everytime I've tried to test he temper with the paint brush she never flicked hairs always flips around and bites it

although she is very active, always in a different spot when I see her and I don't mind having her as just a display T, she eats a lot too

so thats 3 aspects of her that don't fit the typical rose hair stereotypes

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Rosea

I currently have seven G.Roseas and all but one are handleable (one is too small to hold) and lazy! I have never been threatend by any of them. with one of my males when I open the lid on his cage he will walk right onto my hand as if he likes to be handled. when I put him back in his tank he just walks under his log and stays their untill i feed him or got to open the tank, once i open the tank he is out and walking around. I named him Winston. :}

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i never see the female, except when i mate her, she dug a burrow bigger than my near 7 inch h.lividum, the male, he just sits in one spot.
it is pretty funny when i mate them though, he dashes every time, she pulls him and forces him to mate. ive seen them mate three times in ten minutes. every time he runs she grabs him again.

Sym

Arachnopeon
my g.rosea has done feats of excavating i would never have expected from any spider, let alone as small as it is (5"). it's absolutely the nicest spider, i've never had it threaten me. but it never eats.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine moved once but that the only experience I'v had with my male.{D

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I must one of the lucky ones. My adult rosea has been quite docile during the few years I have had her. Although I was surprised when I placed her back into her cage after a peaceful handling session - she slowly turned around and gave me what was unmistakably a threat display, fangs barred and everything! And this was AFTER she calmly walked on me. Needless to say it was quite a while before I attempted to handle her again. The next time I did, though, eveything went smoothly and no last minute threat display either. Odd indeed.

Elithial

Arachnopeon
Laaaazy

I just got my G.rosea and named her Cinnamon. She is the biggest pet rock I have ever seen. When I do see her move it's only slightly. She never displays to me or kicks hairs she just sits there. Even if I pick her up haphazardly she squirms alittle but never bites or kicks hairs. When I hold her she doesn't even walk, she just sits there. I can even stroke her in most parts of her body and the most she does is move slightly or turn away. Sometimes I get worried she's ill but supposedly they can just....not care this much? :?

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Evil

I had my Rosea for a few years now and she used to be the greatest thing i had in my collection; absolute sweetheart would let me touch her and pick her up without any protests, threat postures or hair flicking! After her first molt in my care, which took her almost a year to get to, she turned into a real evil bitch she strikes out at anything that comes even close to her. She doesnt kick hair or throws threat posters she goes in for a tag plain and simple. If i break out my brush she doesnt run she tries to tag the brush, if i try to "brush" her for over 5 minutes she goes into her hide sticks her but out ever so slightly and kicks out a storm of hair!

EVIL!